Does this sound like a failing water pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my wife reported "the car is making an odd sound" when she drove it today (2010 V8, 180k km, new engine at ~80k km from LR).

I just went out and it is making a horrible screech-grinding nose from the fan area. Revved it a bit and no change in noise. Does this sound like the water pump bearings self-ingesting? Water pump replaced by my mechanic in 2021 at 145k km. If so, failure seems somewhat premature methinks.

Thanks in advance!

Quentin

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:
I grabbed the plastic fan and wiggled it hard. There does seem to be some wobble, so bad bearings / clutch?

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But the clutch bearing assembly will still be in place, so will presumably still make the noise?

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if I remove the fan clutch assembly that still leaves the pulley in place. Is it not the pulley bearings that would be failing?

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fan clutch itself can make noise too.

You can also take the belt off and manually turn each pulley. See which one feels rough.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found the problem!
The RH upper idler pulley bearing is shot.
Its totally off centre with just the belt tension holding it on
20230619_092833.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72