Driver Door Window Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ogre420

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is for anyone suffering the problem my sister-in-law faces with her 94'-95' Discovery. I am no expert, mechanic, or had any prior experience with this situation. I just had the ambition to get the job done well by me and at no cost but time itself. Now to my point.

My sister-in-law had an issue with her driver door window being stuck in a position leaving a two inch opening for the elements. After a night of constant rain and a soaked drivers side seat and dash enough was enough.

I searched and searched and found nothing that relates to this problem, so here is my attempt and success.

Step one. Made sure to secure the window in the full up position with lots of masking tape. Be careful since the window is heavy and there is nothing holding it up but the many pieces of tape I used. It did work for me yet I taped the heck out of it so that there was no chance it could fall.

Step two. I removed the interior door panel. (pic 1)

Step three. Removed the track that the window sits in from the bottom of the door where it had fallen. Cleaned it and set it aside.

Step four. I noticed that the window regulator was off track. The track that is about six inches and is mounted inside the door about midway. (pic 2)
The picture shows the track removed. Notice the two mounting holes just above the track.

At this point I had re-connected the regulator arm to the track and tested the system by pressing the window switch many times. With every try the arm would fall off of the six inch track when the window was in the full down position. From here I searched and searched the forums with no luck. In-fact the closest thing I could find was that many people ended up replacing the regulator, but mainly due to a different issue.

Step five. I decided to remove the regulator to inspect. (pic 3)
I noticed that there is a two part piece, that I don't know the name of, which acts as a stopper of some sort. It stops the regulator arm when the window has reach its down position. (pic 4) (pic 5)
(pic 6)
The plastic piece was deformed from wear and tear and the metal piece was cracked, which doesn't seem to be an issue, also it was worn where, when window is in full up position. (pic 7) (pic 8)

Step six. I shaved off a bit of the deformed plastic and flipped it over, reinserted into the metal piece and re-assembled the regulator unit. Tried the window operation via the switch several times to find that I have fixed the problem. Sweet.

The pieces are old, worn out and due for replacement but I am confident that what I have done will extend the life of the operation of the regulator.

In other words, It's fixed and i am happy with the result. However I will be keeping an eye on it just in case.

I hope this can help anyone that has the same problem as my sister-in-law. Now, after a few beers.... I'm done.

Cheers...

Ogre420

Reaction score
Here are the first five pics...

Attachments

• IMG_2269.JPG
    IMG_2269.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2273.JPG
    IMG_2273.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2267.JPG