Drove the new Discovery and I'm totally confused now.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did test drive the D5 with a diesel engine and was not impressed. There seemed to be some turbo lag from a dead stop. And I didn't feel the higher torque at low rpm's like other Audi TDIs I have driven.
Wow, that's a shame! I absolutely loved my TDI Audi loaners I had in the past. When my cars were in for service, I always asked for 3.0TDI A6s or Q5s. The torque was fantastic, and chipped, they would've been a riot.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did test drive the D5 with a diesel engine and was not impressed. There seemed to be some turbo lag from a dead stop. And I didn't feel the higher torque at low rpm's like other Audi TDIs I have driven.

I guess you are not the only one feeling that way, the following paragraph/observation is from a review by TruckTrend:

"Our preference is the gas engine. The diesel lacked power at highway speeds for passing—mashing the pedal produced few results, not surprising given that peak torque is available from 1,750 to 2,250 rpm. We had no such issues with the gasoline engine, which provided plenty of power and ******."

As much as some of us were craving for it including myself, no wonder TDV6 LR4s were not shipped to north america, very possibly due LR4' heavier weight (aside from emissions revisions for the us market.) I mean, If the same engine is producing not such desirable results with D5' lighter frame, it might very well have struggled with LR4' weight.

Here is the link to the full TruckTrend article:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/land-rover/discovery/2017/2017-land-rover-discovery-review/

Last edited:

NeilP

Reaction score
If you are going the tall wagon route I would say Q7 > Discovery. If you are in this category also check out the new Volvo XC90.

If you want a LR4 successor how about a Toyota Land Cruiser?
New Toyo Land Cruiser comes out August 2018 or so . Straight six twin turbo diesel replaces the eight .
This is what I'm replacing the LR3 V8 with . The LR5 diesel is a total cockup and the Canbus faults/electrical problems are dreadful . Read the reports from the British Disco5 site . Dreadful !

R Hermann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great thread!
A couple of thoughts/observations:
1) New BMW X5 due soon - this Fall? X7 Rumored to be coming too. I know that doesn't help for 2017 depreciation.
2) The tow vehicle weight argument may be old school thinking at this point. Or not. All I know is my X5 was a fantastic tow vehicle. I'm guessing the engineers really put work into using the torque vectoring, etc. to compensate for any bad behavior by the trailer. Maybe not, but it was SO much better than my new Explorer. I never had to deal with 30mph crosswinds though.
3) The LX/ Cruiser is very uncomfortable for me after an hour or so. The LX seats are uncomfortable, rear seats are low, ride is harsh, etc. Fit and finish is nice if you like the style.
4) Ford.... I know their trucks are #1, but "never" again will I own a Ford. The entire experience has me wishing for Tesla to rule them all, especially the ____ dealership owners/managers. The "screw 'em every chance you get" business model doesn't sit well with me. Yes, that is a rant and your experience will likely not match my own.

To anyone at JLR- Please bring back the LR4 in a couple of years, new info/electronics and chassis upgrade to get rid of the mandatory runningboards. We'd love you for it. And you could drop the RR Velar from the line, if you need the production capacity. ;-)

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To anyone at JLR- Please bring back the LR4 in a couple of years, new info/electronics and chassis upgrade to get rid of the mandatory runningboards. We'd love you for it. And you could drop the RR Velar from the line, if you need the production capacity. ;-)

Could happen :) I never had a chance to post the conclusion of a very detailed and long conversation I had with a suit at the LA Auto Show last year. He was a good listener, at the end of our conversation he said, "Anything is possible."

From what I gathered at the LR booth, even some LR employees there were not happy with the direction their brand was headed. They were careful in expressing their concern in the presence of the suits, but it was clear by their demonstration of the new D5. While showing me the car they said to me things like "Yeah seats folds flat but not completely flat as LR4" and "the stadium seating is not really stadium as LR4". One higher lever employee there even told me that they were not happy with the way LR4 was converted to current D5, and that we the customers should contact LR directly as they could put a two or three lines of data in their customer input forms :)

Mark G

Reaction score
I'm shopping too. My '05 LR3 has ~ 170k on it. I was leaning toward the LR4 but thought the new platform (AKA Discovery) thinking it will better withstand the test of time. Sat in a Discovery but was unable to test drive. :-(
Have put $1k down and have a Lux diesel build on order. Keeping my fingers crossed BUT have deep reservations as I like the the LR's high ride, visibility, stadium seats and my LR3's "other worldly" bright headlights (on high).

jbrockiii

Reaction score
After many LRs I am currently driving a '16 4Runner Limited. It's got plenty of luxury conveniences, is full time 4wheel drive, has locking diff., etc. If you wish, the 4Runners can be modified fairly easily. It's a toyota, so resell and reliablility are excellent. The down sides are sluggish get up and go, doesn't tow a ton and the gas mileage isn't great. But I'm really enjoying it. I did an extensive comparison with the GX 460 and liked the 4Runner much better for various reasons. The GX does tow more and has much more power.

NeilP

Reaction score
I'm shopping too. My '05 LR3 has ~ 170k on it. I was leaning toward the LR4 but thought the new platform (AKA Discovery) thinking it will better withstand the test of time. Sat in a Discovery but was unable to test drive. :-(
Have put $1k down and have a Lux diesel build on order. Keeping my fingers crossed BUT have deep reservations as I like the the LR's high ride, visibility, stadium seats and my LR3's "other worldly" bright headlights (on high).
I wouldn't be touching this vehicle with a barge pole until it's been out for at least a year . https://disco5.co.uk/forum/faults-and-fixes-vf10.html Cancel now .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM