EAS Compressor Assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phillman98

Reaction score
Hello,

Although I am new and this is my first post, I have already read quite a few threads and have seen the heroic replies from the one called Joey:) I have a 1999 RR 4.6 HSE with only 50k miles:)

Thoughout my morning commute the Compressor Assembly is intermittent...comes on every 3 minutes or so and stays on for approx 30seconds. This noise is quite noticeable. I have tightened the mounts and that helped a little with the noise but not the fact that it comes on every 3 minutes.

It also comes on when I first start the car in the morning...but that is normal right?

As I have read compressors normally go out around 140k miles. Since I am only at 50k miles, may I assume that i have a hole or leak in a bag or the hose to the tank that caused the premature death of my compressor?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Get a bottle of soapy water and start spraying the lines and bags until you find your offending leak, because you do have one and it will burn up your compressor (not cheap)

phillman98

Reaction score
compressor EAS

Get a bottle of soapy water and start spraying the lines and bags until you find your offending leak, because you do have one and it will burn up your compressor (not cheap)

Thanks for your response Joey! You are right, if I just replace the compressor without fixing the leak then it won't be too long before I'd need to buy another compressor. Actually I did have a leak a few years ago that caused me to ride on the bump stops. I had a hole in my exhaust which torched a hole in one of the lines. At that time, I had the exhaust and the lines replaced. I guess its possible that my compressor went bad due to that situation and that I currently don't have any leaks. Nonetheless, it would be wise to verify with some soapy water.

Also, my check engine light has been on for quite some time (2 years in fact). At first I thought it was just a gas cap issue (happened before), but now I realized that I am overdue for my 50k maintenance on my 1999 Range Rover. Wondering if the check engine light would come on as a result of not getting the checkup? I only drive the vehicle 3,000 miles per year and such don't really want to put a lot of money ($400) for the maintenance check. I suppose they could reset my check engine light but that's quite expensive to just to get the light to stop lighting up. Is there a way, I could turn the check light off without bringing it into the dealer?

Thanks.

Last edited:

bkas1977

Reaction score
As far as the eas complaint. There could be another problem for your car there are 3 rubber mounting bushings. They in time get worn out. They are a cheep fix and very easy to replace yourself. The other could be the box they mount to. Carefully inspect that for
cracks or if the studds are loose. Check to see if the lid is closed tight and doesn't rattle
when the compressure is running. As far as a leak use very soapy water and squirt around all the hoses, air springs, open the eas lid and check all around the valve block, dryer and compressure. Remember checking it before it fails will save you money. You won't have to go to the dealer to fix or reset.

phillman98

Reaction score
Thank you bkas and joey for your insightful comments!!

First, I spayed soapy water and found there was a leak from the main compression fitting/hose so I tightened the fitting to stop leak. Second, I was missing a t-nut, some washers, and one nut. Went to hardware store to match up the pieces then tightened everything down. I did not need to replace the compressor:)

Somewhat to my surprise, it WORKED!! Total bill $2.35!!! Thanks! I had been listening to this noise for 3 years now and finally I can drive in peace:)

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad we could offer some good advise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635