Erratic Suspension Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthwestDriver

Reaction score
Could the cause of the current problem be a result of not recalibrating? If we have to do a recalibration we may have to get a gap tool ordered
Your current problem is probably that you still have one leaking air strut and the computer is periodically releveling the car.
So northwest what you are saying is that the new bag will get out of the correct pressure range? Also is there a pressure sensor in the valve block for each air strut? And is the alignment issue from incorrect ride height?
I was wrong about this. A replaced strut shouldn’t impact the alignment since the ride height sensor dictates the movement of air into/out of the strut.

There are no pressure sensors at the struts, each corner has a ride height sensor which effectively tells the computer what height each wheel is at in relation to the body. The computer then opens or closes valves to increase or decrease the volume of air in each strut to bring the wheel to the proper level.

Edit: correcting an error in EAS function

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that it's a good idea to replace in pairs. I said as much. I'm just saying it isn't a requirement.

I also would bet a beer that the EAS doesn't need a calibration after a shock R&R (only). I'm not 100 on that, but I'm pretty sure.

I'm not asserting that you are misleading anyone.

NorthwestDriver

Reaction score
I must eat some crow. Based on the wager of beer, I revisited my LR L319 shop manual and it does not stipulate EAS calibration as part of the air shock remove and replace procedure. This does make sense considering the ride height sensor is effectively what calls for air…

I feel like I’ve read calibration as part of the procedure, but it’s certainly not in the manual, so I’ve just been repeating the same misinformation.

I’ll be clarifying earlier posts for the record so as not to confuse anyone further.

Houm_wa, if you are in the Seattle area PM me about collecting your beer…

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahaha, hey no problem, dude. Also, I do live in the Seattle area! Mukilteo specifically....but am back and forth between here and Boeing Field quite often.

I'll PM you. It'll be fun to grab a beer and talk Land Rover stuff, anyway.

norcalfarmer

Reaction score
So a "new guy question"..... What is the L319?
On our LR I am thinking we will replace the suspect air strut and if that doesn't fix the problem I will look at the other EAS components.

Thanks for all the info and advice.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
L319 is a (Land Rover) internal reference to the LR3; just like the L322 is the Range Rover from 2003 - 2012.

Let's take a look at your original post:

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Looking forward to you guy's lr wisdom.
The front left corner of our lr3 leaks down. Sometimes it will stay up reasonably well over night but the next time will leak down in an hour. Have tried leaving in offroad height with fuse or battery cable off and it stays up..... Is it possible that it would leak only in regular height? Could it be a leak in the valve that makes it vary? Or the air bag? (right one went out bad soon after we got the lr several thousand miles ago). Or air line? I hesitate to go after the leak with soapy water as it will mean pulling things apart....... Feel free to ask questions if I'm not clear.
Thanks

I highly recommend getting a GAP Tool (or equivalent) and doing a calibration of the air suspension before you go buying another air strut (or two, per NWDriver's sage advice). Even if you wind up buyng new shocks, the GAP tool is invaluable. The reason I state this is because it doesn't seem that you have an EAS leak (see bold above) and the air shock is "dumb" inasmuch as it's just a hardware component.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sage advice, Houm. Norcal you cannot own an LR3 without some kind of a diagnostic tool unless you plan to camp out at the shop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM