Exhaust Rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattypV50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, I have a 2011 LR4 with only 22,000km. I noticed from the rear that the exhaust that angles up is somewhat rusted. Enough that you notice it.

I do live in Canada where they use salt on the roads. Does anyone else have this on their LR4's?

I'm wondering if other cars have this but just due to the profile of the LR4 you can actually see it.

Any idea how I might be able to make it look a bit better? Is this a dealership question?

Thanks.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey mattypV50,

My exhaust pipes look fine, but I live in Northern CA. I am curious to see what others say, as I know we have a few people in places like MA where they salt the roads like crazy.

I would almost bring it up to the dealership and get their thoughts, as it really should not be rusting.

Keep us posted.

-David

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello matt,

I had the same thing happen on my LR3 when i lived in NY (snow and salt there too). I guess its normal.

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mattypV50,

I live and drive in Africa, in rather extreme temperature and corrosion conditions. My exhaust has been rusting like crazy, and I have tried anti-corrosion paint (yes, on the exhaust), ceramic paint, and now underbody coating (road tar or bitumen).

The ceramic paint is amazing...but very expensive, hard to apply, and chips/flakes or gets sandblasted off relatively quickly (like ceramic glass, the paint is very strong but also fragile). Thus...it is great for high performance road race machines...but maybe not as practical for off road use. The regular anti-corrosion paint helps, but doesn't last very long either (temperatures). I am still experimenting with the underbody coating, but it seems to help (of course, putting anything on the exhaust is going to smell not good). The sand and dirt where I drive is obviously a problem. An old rancher from Kenya told me once that slimming the entire underbody with old motor oil every six months is the answer and he swears by it and costs nothing. I haven't tried that (yet).

There are some after market stainless steel exhausts...but I haven't gone there yet either...also not a cheap solution.

Hope that helps-
Land Rover Joe

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72