Feedback from LandRover themselves?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E

Ecosse

It would be of great benefit to owners (& LR themselves) if they took the time to have a senior member of staff look at some of the postings on the site even if they did not contribute, but just put an acknowledgement that they looked at owners comments. This is what many companies in the IT industry do in their forums and it is amazing how successful the ones that then incorporate users requests in upgrades actually are at retaining cusomers & building brand loyalty. Unfortunately LR will probably learn the lesson too late as it appears from the situation at Jaguar (another Ford company) that Ford takes an approach of "we know best & will just throw money at the company while it suits us" Come on Ford/LR, start listening more to your customers & make a success of a great vehicle.
Any thoughts on how to throw the gauntlet down to LR to actually pay attention to comments on the forum?

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have thought the same before when I was trying to figure out the "towing with a LR with SLS" question. What eventually happened was I contacted LR corporate with my questions and they were able to answer them - I then shared these answers with the forum.

macrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How bout everyone on this forum sends their ** in Solihull one broken part from their LR at the same time in a nicely wrapped box with an invite to peruse this forum. I have a shredded wiper blad that my wife stopped by the dealer to replace. She was thrilled with the service and excitedly call me to let me know that the two blades installed were only $80. Boy was I excited about that too...:mad:

But I do love my Rover..would'nt trade for any other vehicle right now....ok well maybe a Veyron

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I compiled a list of requests for LR to pay attention to. Both my own items, and things gleened from other threads:

D3/LR3 wish list

Safety
1. Rear view camera as a safety item, not a luxury package
2. Brighter instrument gauge illumination for urban city areas with high amounts of ambient lighting.

Durability

1. More rugged housings and better waterproofed electronics & connectors
2. Air breather vents for differentials, transfer case, etc… routed higher (to roof).
3. Better wearing tires, with more tire options (street, off road, or all-terrains)
4. Faulty light bulb sensor/indicator lights
5. Workshop manual on paper or at least on CD so can be copied to paper.
6. The window controls are of poor quality. The plastic is too thin/light and the switches flex when you push or pull on them. They should have a feeling of solidity to them.
7. Exhaust pipes should be re-routed above the rear driveshaft to prevent damage when off roading.

Performance

1. Reduce weight overall, target weight should be 2.2-2.5 tonnes max
2. Proper tow hitch assembly that does not hinder off road ability
3. Fully controllable suspension height, with significantly raised speed limit in off road mode (up to 90km/hr), and manual access to super extended mode (below 15 mph)
4. Rear bumper mounted spare tire carrier, configured to be on the left, so it does not block the lower window niche of the rear hatch, and does not interfere will loading vehicle when parked alongside a curb. Tire carrier should be sized to accommodate up to 33” dia. tires.
5. Slightly larger wheel well housings, without the fin on the rear housing, and relocated rear air conditioning lines to allow the fitting of 33” tires. Will also require slight modification of upper a-arms in front suspension.
6. Fold flat front passenger seat
7. Bigger air reservoir(s) for
a) Tyre inflation hose/air wrench
b) Keeping car level and at the set height during auto-leveling, rather than always dropping.
c) Compact OEM Air Jack as standard
8. Bio-diesel compatibility.
9. Add more adjustment range to the rain-sensing wipers
10. The bins in the back of the vehicle should be sized to properly stow a 3” x 30’ heavy duty vehicle recovery strap and battery jumper cables.
11. Provide a KIT package for a secondary battery system.
12. Provide a dedicated 12VDC, minimum 15 amp power outlet directly connected to the battery (or preferably, a secondary battery) without requiring the use of the ignition key being activated. This should be in the front and in the rear of the vehicle, but if we must choose only one location, it would be the rear.
13. Glass roof should be a deletable option, regardless of trim package.
14. The skid plate for the gas tank should be replaced with a stronger/more durable unit.

Comfort & Convenience

1. Height adjustable instrument cluster mated with steering column
2. Proper clock up high on instrument cluster that can be viewed even with UV filtering sunglasses.
3. Centre armrest - centre rear seat head rest that like the old Disco 2 or Freelander
4. Adjustable (fore and aft) middle-row seats
5. Proper mileage/trip/mpg computer that gives MPG , distance + engine running time for the journey as well as overall similar to Nissan or Mercedes systems
6. Heads up display on windshield
7. Redline indicator on tachometer (diesel versions)
8. "Headlights on" indicator on instrument panel
9. Revise passenger seat height adjustment to go up and not angle forward
10. Revise front seat head restraints to move fore and aft
11. Add padding to the door armrests
12. Add fold-in power mirrors for the US
13. Add destination entry on-the-move to the Navigation system in all countries
14. An intelligent modern audio system with a hard disk for mp3s and an ipod like interface for the touch screen. Wifi syncing to home computers (for mp3s and whatnot) no messing with cables and moving the ipod about. Better iPod connectivity with input sensing volume adjustment
15. Ability to control interior illumination lights from rear dome light near tailgate
16. The LED light for the HVAC system’s “Recycle” button is not bright enough to be seen in the daytime when sunglasses are worn (such as on the trail).
17. Provide a 120V AC power inverter with a 30amp weather sealed, NEMA 5-15R configuration power receptacle permanently mounted on an interior panel at the rear of the LR3 would be a very handy accessory option (similar to the Toyota TRD package available for Tacoma’s). It should be standard with the secondary battery package, and not require ignition key activation.
18. The motorized seats and mirrors should be on permanent power and not require ignition key activation
19. The steering wheel mounted volume and scan buttons should always be mounted on the steering wheel on the side adjacent to the window. For left hand drive vehicles, that would be on the left! As it is now, the hand that is only inches from the volume knob on the console is the one that keys the steering wheel controls. This is silly.
20. Ford’s F-150 adjustable pedals should be standard on the LR3
21. The interior front door pull should be 1.5” higher on the door, to provide better leverage, and to allow more knee space (allowing the knee to fit underneath it)
22. The padding on the seat arm rests should be of a higher density foam.
23. The vertical beveled center console significantly reduces available knee space, and provides no functionality. The cavity below the steering wheel should be as wide as possible and able to accommodate our increasingly tall population.
24. The cup holders fit no known drink container sizes in common use in the USA. This includes the two primary console holders, the door pocket holders, the pull out drink holder for the second row occupants, and the round holders in the back shelf area. Adjustable spring or friction collar holders are common in virtually all cars these days. Land Rovers are designed to excel at radical off camber pitches and steep approach/departure angles when off roading, but the cup holders are simply not up to the task.
25. The rear seats should be spring activated or power activated to allow one hand, no reach operation up and down. Similar to a Lincoln Navigator.
26. The rear lift gate should have an option to be power activated, similar to the Nissan Armada, Lincoln Navigator, etc… A button available on the dashboard as well as a separate button in the back (on a short delay) at +50” – 60” above the ground should be provided to open or close the door.
27. User configurable warning bongs (similar to chosing the Nav voice)

Packages & Options:
While every Land Rover is an off road vehicle, it is a fact that many of these fine vehicles never leave the pavement. But for those of us who do enjoy them fully, there are configurations and options that should be available as a package from the factory. It’s seems a misnomer to call it an “Off Road Package” as all other Mfr’s do, but clearly there is a need for something like it. Perhaps “Safari”, “Rubicon”, or “Blackforest” trim packages could be offered. These packages should NOT be contingent on the trim level. Meaning, they should be available for Base models, all the way up to HSE. What kinds of things should be in this package? Here is the start of a partial list:
• Rear tire carrier (on the left please, don’t block the view out of the notched window!)
• Extended range fuel tank (where space saver rear tire was)
• Outback mode on the Terrain Control allowing speeds in excess of 30 mph for extended suspension mode
• Grommets in the roof (fore and aft), prewired for off road HID lights, with the wiring harness tucked into the headliner and accessible from above via the grommet.
• Front & Rear diff locker (regardless of engine or trim level)
• User configurable switches on the center console (for lights, lockers, air compressors, etc..)
• Secondary battery (and related outlets as described elsewhere)
• Secondary air compressor, or fittings front and rear for airing up tires.
• A choice of tires at vehicle purchase! (All Terrians, or Mud Terrians, etc…)
• Modified exhaust routing. With the spare tire out of the way, it’s possible to tuck that exhaust system up over the rear driveshaft and out of harms way.
• Heavy duty skid plates for front end, rear end, gas tank, and transmission bay
• No glass roof in the rear
• Roof access ladder as part of the package
• Better trailer hitch for off road towing (such as Outback trailers).

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part two (text limit on number of characters appearantly)

Extravagant Requests (thinking beyond the norm)
1. Bigger fuel tank, or dual fuel tanks (120litres plus)
2. Sliding doors front and back to allow us salad dodgers, and those carrying child seats to get out of the car in narrow car-park spaces.
3. Lock/unlock buttons with the second row passengers roof controls for parents confined to the back seats by young kids.
4. Waiver certificate system allowing user to waive Safety Stazi interlocks (raise/lower remote, max off road height speed etc) at the dealers.
5. Snorkel as standard - perhaps with low profile/hidden intake right across width of roof but hoses embedded/hidden in A-Frame or other pillars..
6. WithAuto transmissions, when stationary, allow move from Neutral to Drive without pressing footbrake, if park brake is engaged instead.
7. Before'n'After KleenTect protection or similar offered on all cars during production and before they first go outside.
8. Torque response dial next to terrain response dial - select between Towing, Extreme MPG, G-Force related organ collapse and a spare slot for bespoke upgrades from certain vendors. Auto box adapts to suit, including down-shifting for engine braking during towing and to maintain set cruise control speed when heading down hills.
9. Decent side steps accessory that are built for the car - like RRS not the tacked on numpty ones sold now.
10. The Command Shift transmission mode should be engaged by snapping the shift level to the right. On a left hand drive, it is more common to have some leftward pull when pulling back on the shift level to put the system in to Drive. Often, drivers are constantly popping into C/S mode accidentally, when starting the car in motion, or cornering, or whenever we bump it.
11. Night vision/heads up display
12. Weather Doppler image overlaid on the Nav screen
13. Vandal/Scratch Electroshock

angelboing

Reaction score
wow, nathan. that is a pretty exhaustive list. i like it, and i have a few additions:

true mobile phone integration via bluetooth. for example, doesn't bmw's idrive system allow you to access contacts via voice control and the nav screen?

pockets/cubbies in the headliner (like the series 2's)

one touch, auto open/close for all windows and moonroof (or also an "open all/close all" feature controlled by holding a button the key)

great job assembling this wish list!

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
angelboing, 2008+ has phone book access via Bluetooth.
nwoods, #18 is done: 2007+ power seat controls work without ignition.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nwoods - great list.

A couple others (not sure if they've been added on later model years):

Keyless Go/Start (option at least)
Instant fuel economy in trip computer
TPMS standard
Selectable suspension settings (comfort, sport, etc) - ala Touareg, GX470
Lower suspension automatically when put in park (user selectable)
Altitude available in on road mode on nav
Reclinable rear seats

We should start a list of things they do right too :biggrin: Don't want them to do away with anything good. Some of my favorites:

Exterior/interior styling
Transmission
V8 engine
Air suspension
Sunroofs (multiple ones)
Great third row
Great interior volume
Great ride
Great offroad ability
Terrain Response System
Key fob
Electronic Parking Break
Excellent Nav system
Easy to change air filters (if you've owned a V8 Touareg you'll know what I mean :biggrin:)
Excellent Xenon headlights
Nice heated windshield
Available rear heated seats

-Rich

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nwoods, that's a great list. This past March, I was the subject of a Land Rover focus study. For 3 1/2 days, a film crew from the UK filmed me and my family as we went about our normal lives and how LR3 fit into all of that. I was interviewed for about 8 hours, some of that was in or around the vehicle seeking comments about things I liked and disliked. I brought up many of the issues that are on your list ie. poor jack, too much cheap plastic trim, more ability to manipulate off road settings, the disasterous phone interface, poor exhaust routing, poor tires, the awful 19" size, too little fuel capacity, no diesel in USA, 115 volt AC outlet in boot,etc.. Ironiclly, most of the interview questions were about how my LR3 made me FEEL. They also asked a lot of questions about what other brand names I purchased. After it was all over, I realized that car companies are not in the business of building the car you or I want to buy, they are in the business of making the product that their factories can produce. It's up to the marketing department to then convince you that what they made is what you need. So, if Land Rover is reading this and other forums they're not reading them to see what changes they need to make or what they need to improve, they use them to see what problems or issues they need to overcome with marketing.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TPMS standard:
Already here since it's mandatory by law in the U.S., for every new vehicle.

Lower suspension automatically when put in park (user selectable):
Not going to happen: safety concerns. Anyway, you just need to tap a switch a few seconds before parking.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72