Film to protect headlights...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw this on eBay and was wondering if it is worth it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=7958606131&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

Then today, I stopped by the LR dealer to get my plates, and this range rover pulls in behind me in the service line. He has this silver dollar sized chunk in his headlight. They were discussing whether the lens could be replaced or if the headlight is one peice and must completely be replaced.

It made wonder again about this film.

Any thoughts?

T

tzucc

the lamps put out a lot of heat... try putting your hand up against them and hold them there. I wonder how the plastic would fare after alot of headlight usage in warm weather. Also whether the plastic would dim the output of the Xenons... by definition it would not transmit 100% of the light through, but the loss might be imperceptible.

F

Freeflytim

After replacing two foglights on my BMW, I put film like this on them and 100000 miles later I have not had another break.

I have not investigated this guy’s stuff so I can’t vouch for it but I WILL put something like it on my lights.

I can only IMAGINE what a replacement headlight lens would cost!!

The headlight is one complete set. Crack the lens, buy the whole assembly…

See for yourself… Pop the hood, push the tabs to get the grill out, pull up the two ‘sliders’ that hold the headlight assembly and take a look. IM SCARED!!

I have had no problems with ‘clear protective’ film that has been on my BMW for 100000 miles and I will put something like it on my LR… Im not sure about this Ebay thing right now… Im just looking for a ‘reputable’ source!!

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you should have seen the divot in this RR guy's headlight. He was bumming.

L

luvmylr3

Weathertech can special order

Found another potential supplier. I went to Weathertech's website, they have the lampguard. They seem to be a reputable company, they have been advertising for years in all the popular US auto magazines (MT, C&D, ect), though I have never bought from them. I contacted their customer service department, though as yet they do not have for LR3 in stock, they will in the future until then it can be special ordered.

http://www.weathertech.com/

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The film you suggest is 40 mils thick, while the ebay is 30mils. 40 seems like the choice.

T

tzucc

If a rock hits hard enough to crack the lens without the film, do we really think the film will stop the crack?? I don't. Definitely the film should mitigate the damage, but once the plastic is cracked, with the headlight operate correctly??? If not, then will the film matter?

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the film will help an aweful lot. 3M makes a similar product to put on the entire front of a motorhome to prevent chipping. It works wonders. Will it be a 100% shield against any boulder that hits? Nope. But if it works like the 3M film does, then it is worth the forty bucks.

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Film will help ALOT. Use it on my other car, has saved my xenons many many times.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635