FINALLY! Pictures of my LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is the wind noise with flooring on the rack? I'd like to get a full rack with the metal mesh flooring. I think that would be the most versatile and allow it to be used for anything.

I also want to get the same side steps from voyager, but I think ill need some tacky/sandpaper stuff on them to help the kids not slip off.
Hey mbw,

The wind noise is not bad at all. It's hard for me to notice anymore because I have the big pelican boxes strapped to the roof - hahaha! :) Seriously, the racks and flooring do have some wind noise, but nothing bad at all. The metal mesh flooring from Voyager is really nice, but very expensive. I bought really strong chicken coop flooring from FarmTek:

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplie...ent-ft_poultry_fencing_flooring;pgha2215.html

I can easily stand on it with no problem and it holds a lot of weight. Whatever your rack can take, this flooring will be fine. I like it because it is easy to ******** with industrial strength zip ties (black) and looks good. Though, the metal mesh that you can get with your rack from Voyager is definitely the best option. I love my Voyager rack, but I do not like the wind fairing at all - it's absolutely incredibly strong and will withstand a hurricane, but it doesn't look particularly finished. I am planning to have a new piece of plastic cut and make one myself. Have you ever looked into the Baja racks? You need the short or long rails to install them, but I love the looks!

The side steps are awesome - they definitely act as rock sliders and provide a small step into the truck. I don't have the grip tape, but I think you will need it for little kids. It can be slippery when it's wet!

Let me know if you have any questions.

-David

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I have one more question. How difficult is it to take the rack off? I think I would want to leave it on most of the time, but if I wanted to remove it.. is it a pain?

Part of me thinks I would want to leave it all the time, but then again, if im going to be on a long road trip and know I wont need it... seems like a waste of noise/fuel.

Dealer says my 13' is due at the end of this month, 15 days earlier than originally thought. Very excited.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I have one more question. How difficult is it to take the rack off? I think I would want to leave it on most of the time, but if I wanted to remove it.. is it a pain?

Part of me thinks I would want to leave it all the time, but then again, if im going to be on a long road trip and know I wont need it... seems like a waste of noise/fuel.

Dealer says my 13' is due at the end of this month, 15 days earlier than originally thought. Very excited.
Hey mbw,

That's great - can't wait for it to arrive. It is not that difficult to take the rack off, but it's a pain in the butt. You definitely need at least 2-3 people to help with the careful lifting on and off the truck. The Voyager racks basically bolt down to the existing holes, so it's a matter of removing the bolts and then removing. With that said, you need to be really careful (this is especially true for installing roof rails) with everything, as some guys have cracked their glass roof.

You are correct, the racks do decrease gas mileage - but, I don't know if removing it is worth the trouble. These racks are meant to be a permanent fixture, but can be removed.

Most folks who want roof top storage and want to be able to easily remove it opt for roof rails and then cross bars. That way they can get a smaller roof rack that fits on those, or a cargo box, etc. Stuff by Thule, etc. are made to come on and off a lot easier than the racks.

I hope that helps. Keep me posted!

Regards, David

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I opted for thule bars and a yakima box. If my garage would allow me to park with david's set up, i would have been very tempted. That being said, the interior cargo area of the rover is very sizable, but there are some things you would prefer to always have outside the vehicle (jerry cans). I keep the bars on, and only use the box when i need it (right now, just for skiing, although putting the middle 2nd row seat down flat also works)

crtfour

Reaction score
Nice job with the customization! Where did you get the rear license frame? I'd like one that says "Land Rover" and is not chrome.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo