First Gremlin - Now I feel part of the club

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have HD. Interesting theory about the transmission, especially if they've had it happen in other models with that setup. I swear I heard it on Saturday when I was sitting at rest at a stop sign. If so, then I doubt it's the transmission because I wasn't moving. I wasn't really "looking out" for the sound though so I could be mistaken.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have HD. Interesting theory about the transmission, especially if they've had it happen in other models with that setup. I swear I heard it on Saturday when I was sitting at rest at a stop sign. If so, then I doubt it's the transmission because I wasn't moving. I wasn't really "looking out" for the sound though so I could be mistaken.

Of course we're all guessing here. But "noises" can be extremely hard to determine the cause. I had a faint but noticeable buzz that would occur in my Lexus RX350 a couple years ago. It would start up between 50-80 MPH most of the time but not all the time. And it would go on and on - minutes to hours. They could never figure it out so I had to just learn to ignore it. I have also had noises/creaks in my carbon fiber bicycle frames that have been a PITA to locate and fix. My biggest concern is to make sure it is not a symptom of a deeper problem. If it is transmission harmonics then I am not concerned.

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The noise happened in the exact same place under the exact same conditions this morning. It's definitely something mechanical and not the audio system. The transmission harmonics theory is looking like the culprit.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The noise happened in the exact same place under the exact same conditions this morning. It's definitely something mechanical and not the audio system. The transmission harmonics theory is looking like the culprit.

It would be very useful if in fact you could reproduce on a somewhat regular basis. If that is the case then maybe we could effect it or stop it by a change of the gears or possibly the accelerator to change the load on the transmission.

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow i'll try reproduce it with the radio off. Then the next time in Sport Mode. Then in Command-Shift. To see if there are any differences.

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan, has your LR4 been making the noise? Mine seems to have abated. I haven't heard it in a week or so.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can still hear mine at times. But it is faint and since I believe it is in fact harmonics in the drive train as I listen to it that sort of makes sense. I only notice it when the audio is off or playing some classical music. Its not that bothersome to me anymore but it is still there.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ECO/Charging System Fault - Apparently a "harmless" software bug

I have the same sound in mine. Mines a 2014 lux. It did quit making the sound about a month ago for a couple days but during the time the sound was gone I got a charging system fault that disabled the ECO feature. The fault only lasted for a couple days and disappeared by itself. When the fault disappeared the sound returned.

I had the sound disappear again yesterday for a couple trips around town and the ECO feature had a fault and was automatically disabled at the same time. It could not be enabled by pressing ECO the button. When I started it this morning the fault was gone and the sound was back.

Ziggy, I got the ECO/Charging System Fault yesterday. I had just finished a 15 mile drive to Rollins Pass here in Colorado and was at 11,000' with thunderstorms moving in. So it had me a bit concerned. Though the engine started fine I kept it running all the way back down and didn't turn it off until I was at a service station.

I then called my lead service person at my dealership. Apparently this is a false warning. There is actually no problem. But there is a software bug that causes the fault to go on in certain conditions possibly related to weather. A fix is in the works. He said there is a service bulletin out on it and they have seen a couple of cases here in the Rocky Mountain region. He said it should clear with a couple of cycles of the ignition/etc which it did. No reoccurrence. Just thought I would pass it along. Maybe someone with access to the TSBs can find the service bulletin.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and if anyone else is checking out this thread the sound I heard that first week or two is gone - or I am going deaf or have mentally blocked it out. I completely forgot about it until I resurrected this thread to talk about the charging system fault. So, for me anyway, the sound did go away.

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't make the noise anymore either. I haven't heard it since June. I also haven't seen an ECO/Charging System Fault yet.

//Knocks on wood

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99