First Jeep copies LR and now Ford too.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was watching Extreme Home Makeover with my kids and Ford donated a brand new Explorer to the family. Very different design from previous Explorers. And what does it have...the terrain response knob with the same snow, mud, sand and rock settings. We knew all along that the terrain response system was a great idea and apparently Jeep and Ford agree.

SoCal LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
new explorer looks pretty nice. if it drives half as nice as it looks it will be a hit for ford.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, considering that Ford owned LR when the TR system was introduced, so can't really fault them there.

BMWs with all-wheel-drive (cars and SAV's) have HDC installed, taken directly from LR.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Side-by-side comparison

Upon review, the Ford "Terrain Management System" is similar to Land Rover's "Terrain Response System", however Ford is missing the optional airlift setting.

2011ford.jpg

lr3_terrain_response_copy_104.jpg

d3heli_608.jpg

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Ford pic doesn't seem to have a rock crawl setting.

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seeing as how LR got it's start by copying military Jeep's and Ford is still supplying LR with awesome engines and tooling after the tata take over (5.0 V8 anyone?), I think it's only fair they get something in return. I mean c'mon, did J/LR really give Ford any profits?

SoCal LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford is still supplying LR with awesome engines and tooling after the tata take over (5.0 V8 anyone?)

i don't think they are the same engine- according to wikipedia, the ford engine bore and ****** is 92.2mm by 92.7mm; the LR engine is 92.5mm by 93mm. anyone have info that says otherwise?

btw, i do wish LR implemented the door keypad that ford has used for a long time. such a great feature, especially when you are outdoors and don't want to risk damaging or losing a key.

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe true, but I guarantee you that it was developed under Ford using Ford money. I mean c'mon, two direct injected 5.0 V8's produced/developed at the same time by a company that once owned the other? Something was up.

And the new LR4's/RRS have this proximity sensing key that negates the use of a keypad, just walk up to it with key in pocket and doors unlock. You can also lock them by pushing a button on the door handle itself without messing with the key, but I do agree the keypad is very practical. My parents used to have an '88 taurus and '97 explorer with it, very convenient.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean c'mon, did J/LR really give Ford any profits?

Well, I don't know about the net profit, if any. I seem to recall that Jag was losing about $200M every year, whereas LR was highly profitable in 2005 up until it sold. Ford has a marketing site with those stats available on it, but I'm taping this on my phone and dont feel like wading through all that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge