Fixin to be a member of the club!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove HSE couple weeks ago. Decent little rig. I guess I'm just used to the LR4 but agree on the technology update, as I sure hope it trickles up quick within the range.

DS LUX sticker about 55k. After my drive the salesman kept saying that this SUV is going to steal RX350 customers. I don't totally agree with the mentality.

BUT, with the the new Volvo XC90, it my just pull in BMW, MERCEDES as well as others into the drivers seat. At a sticker of 55k it has a 3 row seeting standard, pano roof that actually opens, a 4 cylinder turbo and supercharged engine making 316 hp and manages 20/25 hwy. Plus the overall look with the new LED adaptive 'Thor' headlamps, iPad like interface reminiscent of Tesla, Volvo has really outdone itself. This could be the next SUV of the year. Plus it can be had with air suspension.

Ok you can yell at me for thread jacking.

Love the look of your DS LUX and with that interior its spot on.

The biggest Debbie downer for me was the fixed pano roof like the Evoque. Why they that makes no sense. Except it be the same size so they didn't have to add cost in engineering one specifically for the DS ?

Last edited:

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK guys, We've put almost 200 miles on it. Ive been behind the wheel for most of that. I hope this doesnt get too long winded...LOL!

Let me start off by reiterating how much I originally wanted a LR4. To get anything less or different was a HUGE compromise for me personally. Also, I am a militant V8 fan. I believe that theres no replacement for displacement. Ive never been interested in getting a vehicle that gets good gas milage. . Ive also never owned a "Luxury" brand. I have had many high end trim level trucks and SUVS in the domestic brands so most of the features on the Disco Sport are not new to me but a few are. This purchase has been brewing for months and we've made plans, change plans gone back and forth, etc. So this purchase was not made lightly.

All that being said, I am very pleasantly surprised with this Disco Sport. Its going to fit what we need for my wifes primary vehicle and family hauler nicely. The Land Rover buying experience was new to me and extrememly pleasant. It was a whole new level of car buying experience.

Overall build qulity, workmanship and material quality is excellent. It may not be as posh as the RR line but this is a NICE vehicle. Anyone who says its "cheap" really has some issues that they need to deal with by a professional. IMO.

I have the most experience with Ford's ridiculously frustrating sync infotainment and Chryslers newest UConnect, which is very good and has been a pleasure to use to date.
Even I could tell how err.."archaic" the infotainment was in the L4s that Ive driven. This Incontol system is sharp, fast and pretty intuitive. Its not pefect but its a huge leap forward to get in line with the competition. We have just about got it figured out and we are navigating the system much better. Incontrol Apps have been downloaded and its cool. Its alot like UConnects via mobile, which allows you to access certain apps from the touch screen instead of the phone. I like it and look forward to more apps becoming available. We have not messed around with the Incontrol remote & protect yet. The navigation is right on par with what I'm used to in my RAM, maybe a little better. Voice recognition has been very good so far. Bluetooth phone interface has been good, but different from what I'm used to so we are getting used to navigating it between phones. The 11 speaker 250 watt stereo with sub is very good. In conclusion the new infotainment is a big relief to me that its so much improved. Future LR/RR buyers will like it.
The Vision assist package is cool and Ive enjoyed playing around with all the great camera angles. Weve obviously got along without these cameras all these years LOL, but all the cameras are actually going to be quite useful. The resolution of the cameras are the best Ive ever experienced in a car. The Xenon adaptive headlights are new to me and very cool and appreciated.

We had it loaded with 4 adults and 1 child yesterday. Theres so much room in this thing that it defies its size. We have had a couple of Ford Expeditions and I swear this Disco feels just as roomy for 5. My 6'2" long legged father in law had no issues in the passenger seat and could probably do well in the back if needed.
It rides sporty, its not a cush ride and the 20" wheels are partly responsible. But its not unpleasant. Personally, I appreceaite the ride. It handles well. Its not called the Discovery SPORT for nothing.
Now to the little engine. 2.0L Turbo 4 banger, 240HP/250ftlbs with 9 speed. Ive got an 8 speed trans in my RAM and I love it. Im all for the increase in gear ratios in the trans as long as they dont start producing diminising returns. So far the 9 speed in the Disco shifts great, its smooth and doesnt seem to "hunt". Ive read about chunky shifting and hunt and peck shifting from the Evoque owners, but none of that has been an issue so far. The little engine is STRONG. It can get the vehicle moving....QUICKLY, enough throw you back in your seat and to startle unsuspecting passengers. ;) Very little turbo lag that Ive noticed. Its rated at 20mpg city and 26hwy with a combined 22mpg. So far, I think these ratings are conservative. In real world driving I think it can actually get better. Which is not usually the case. Of course, as with all small, forced induction engine stuffed in heavy vehicles, if you USE that power often or are heavy footed, you'll get less MPGs. This engine seems to be abe to move the vehicle around without relying on the turbo all the time. I reset the trip comuter when I drove it off the lot. So far I'm sitting at 23mpg and thats with idling at the dealership for 30 minutes while we were getting the in-service by our salesperson and with alot of city driving. Drive it reasonably and it should deliver advertised or better gas milage. Again this has never been a huge deal to me, but I'll admit, it could be nice to have a higher MPG vehicle in the stable.
The start stop feature works as advertised. The engine turns off at stop lights and instantly starts up when you take your foot off the brake....unless the vehicles computer feels like it needs ro be running to make sure your AC temperature setting is not compromised, etc. In which case it will start up a little early. You can disable it by pushing a button.

I'll address the panoramic roof. Is it gimmicky? YES. But in the end its cool enough. My kid loves it and when she gets tired of too much sun, I just close it. Or I close it partially. It brightens up the interior and makes it feel even bigger inside. Its awesome at night. My daughter was oohing and ahhhing and made a wish on a star driving home last night. :)
Ive had MANY sun roofs in the past and I rarely open them up for fresh air, much less sunlight..you get so little light and it always seems to be right in your face. This is not the case with this roof in the Disco. IMO a panoramic roof is actually more functional to me than a silly little sunroof. The open feeling that you get from the glass roof is actulaly very cool and strangely functional.
Having heated and COOLED seats are expected for a vehicle with this trim package and price range. Good to see LR getting on board with that.

We get a ton of looks and gawks and I couldnt walk into the restaraunt last night without answering several questions from people in the parking lot. The gawkers are not gawking in disgust either. LOL! its a nice looking ride. For people who compare it to an Exploder...maybe its got its similarities but its still not even really THAT close when you get them side to side. If youre gonna "go there" then consider the Disco the MUCH prettier, more capable and more classy sister...or cousin of the Exploder. Its the one youd MUCH rather take to the dance.

Im pretty dang sure that this thing will sell well. As for us, I think we will enjoy it for some time. I'm excited to see how the Discovery line shakes out. Theres going to be at least two more models under the Discovery moniker.
LR/RR has made a pivot and they are in sales mode. Its got to be tough for them becasue they have got to keep a balance between gaining market share and appealing to the masses with the combo of value and looks all the while trying to keep an exclusivity about the brand. I think they are on the right track.

Im sure Im forgetting something. LOL But thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72