From sputtering and dying to zooming and flying... why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Piranhaboy

Reaction score
Strange... last week my sweet, sweet Disco started sputtering and stalling at stops. When i'd accelerate it wouldn't move until I floored it and then a pile of black smoke comes out smothering whoever's behind me... (haha)

I sprayed carb cleaner all over and within the intake chamber, removed the throttle position sensor and sprayed that all over and found four bad leaky spots on the cruise control vacuum lines. I put the thing back together and voila... it now revs at 2000 and wants to go airborne...there's no more black smoke either. what gives? the revs are mad and I can't seem to lower them.

Question: is the TPS the issue or does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

d.a.r.y.l

Reaction score
Tps

The TPS seems to be the logical culprit,I would change it.BTW there are no sweet Discos,some are born evil but most just get that way with age.Kinda like people.

Piranhaboy

Reaction score
BTW there are no sweet Discos,...

C'mon now, my sweetie pie Disco cost me a song to buy 2 1/2 years ago - peeps still tell me I stole it for the price I got it, and so far all my fix-its were simple and dirt cheap too.

She took me on very successful salmon fishing and hunting trips up tough terrain, acts like my snowmobile during storms as I fly about the city alongside snowplows, and still get me all the looks in town... if she fell apart today, I'd bury her in my backyard with a Landy Prayer. :argh:

I currently am replacing the CV joint but i bought that on ebay, again for a great price!

...and with your excellent advice for free, that's gravy. :proud:

speaking of advice, do you know where I can get axle seals so I can replace them while I'm at it?

Thanks

d.a.r.y.l

Reaction score
axel seals

Check with Nathan at platinummotors.com or email him at [email protected] has always come thru for me.I don't like vehicles that remind me of old Harley motorcycles,work on them for two hours to ride them for one hour.

Piranhaboy

Reaction score
I removed the TPS and tested it using an analog meter. I attached the middle lead and one of the others and then gently turned the TPS and observed a very smooth range of motion. I also repeated it on the other lead and observed the same results. I was informed that a bad TPS will show intermittent and odd readings. Mine were very smooth and I repeated it over and over again to make sure... so I'm not sure it is the TPS now.

Meanwhile the engine mostly revs at ~2000 rpm, 1750 rpm, and also 750 gentle idle. It usually starts high and after driving a bit may drop to mid way or idle... not sure heating is doing it as it will also jump back up at times too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rendak