Frustration with '14 availability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well tonight I finalized my original order for the corris grey with black pack - that way I get exactly what I want. Order is on and targeting delivery on 8/30.

What a relief! Have been so concerned I would be unable to get a 2014 LR4 it seems unreal that I have one ordered.
I completely agree! Go with the one you want, and I am glad to see you did.

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Hopefully it will arrive early for you!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am glad that people are at least trying to put black on these and not chrome.

I am so disgusted by all the chrome on some of these SUVs lately.
Today I saw a woman driving a brand new Range Rover with so much chrome I wanted to throw up. Bleh.

I am with you!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black Design package would be quite important to me (personally). I would see if you could somehow negotiate with your dealer for them to get the black pack retrofitted.

I basically did a bastardized black pack myself from eBay (authentic LR parts though). I bought the black lettering "Land Rover" for the hood, black lettering "Discovery 4" for the rear, removed the other V8 and SE lettering, bought black grille and side vents. I have Compomotive wheels, so that was one thing less to worry about. The only thing missing is the black mirror caps and black door handles.

Close enough for me.
I did the same thing on my 2011 and it worked out fine; however, I definitely wanted the black-design pack on my 2013. I had the wheels powder coated, grill painted, got the black vents, and changed out all the lettering. It was pretty easy and less than the cost of the black-design pack, but I never got around to doing the door handles or mirros.

I really like the look of my Fuji White with the black trim, especially with all my black/metal modifications. I love the Corris Grey color, and may have gone with that if it was available when I ordered my LR4, but for me, white is the best option because it reflects the sun (important for me now until I move) and I did not want metallic paint at all. I wanted to be able to easily touch up and hide scratches and the Fuji White is phenominal at hiding brush scratches. The second month I had my LR4 I went off roading and a huge live oak branch scraped the side of my truck, but you would never know after a washing and wax job. Sure, if you look at it in a certain angle in the sunlight you can see it, but still, it looks new.

I am sure in a couple years my LR4 will look like it went through a war. LOL! :-D

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The morning after, still feel I made the right choice - I took plenty of time to nail down exactly what I wanted and am glad to have stuck with it.

Funny thing about the black package is my wife can't understand why I'm getting it.
She thinks it cheapens the look of the LR4 and wonders why someone buying a luxury vehicle would want to make it look less luxurious. To me it can make a vehicle look more "sharp" to replace the chrome with black.
If someone wants a vehicle that screams money they may not want black accents, but I think it adds a utilitarian flair that I appreciate more than looking like luxury.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The morning after, still feel I made the right choice - I took plenty of time to nail down exactly what I wanted and am glad to have stuck with it.

Funny thing about the black package is my wife can't understand why I'm getting it.
She thinks it cheapens the look of the LR4 and wonders why someone buying a luxury vehicle would want to make it look less luxurious. To me it can make a vehicle look more "sharp" to replace the chrome with black.
If someone wants a vehicle that screams money they may not want black accents, but I think it adds a utilitarian flair that I appreciate more than looking like luxury.
I am not surprised by your wife's thoughts, as I hear that all the time.

I am lucky, mine has absolutely no say in this sort of thing. I basically TOLD her what I was getting and that's it. Then again, we live in the late 1890s.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly, my wife has her preferred 2012 mommy vehicle (odyssey elite) so she gets that while her opinion is always welcome it carries no weight here :)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly, my wife has her preferred 2012 mommy vehicle (odyssey elite) so she gets that while her opinion is always welcome it carries no weight here :)
Here in the SF peninsula area it's a different story, the wife runes the house and decides everything. My wife is from rural southern UT and grew up and lives in a very different world.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my time is almost here, LR4 was due yesterday so hopefully I'll get a call any day that it's arrived!

The cost breakdown seems to be in order and pretty much what I expected (straight MSRP, $500 reg/lic fees, and local tax).
The only other charge I was told about over the phone (I've yet to sit with them and sign docs of course) was a ~$900 lojack service.

What are your thought's on theft protection for your LR4s?
I purchased lojack for our 2012 Honda for ~$575 from the dealer and don't quite know if I want to get it again. I can't find Land Rover's being on any "most stolen car" list and the LR install price is considerably more than Honda offered.

Also regarding insurance, do any of you use umbrella insurance to cover the significant depreciation?
I'm not leasing the vehicle and want some peace of mind if the SHTF moment occurs where my auto insurance will only cover 80% of the vehicle price after an accident.

eye.surgeon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need it. It's a profit center for dealers. And if you can afford a lr4 your neighborhood is safe and you're parking in a garage.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72