Hand Winch for Self Recovery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fawcett_chad

Reaction score
I've been looking around the web and haven't found a whole lot about this, so I want to throw a line out and see if anyone else has experience or opinion on hand winches for self recovery.

I'd love to throw an electric winch on the front, but am not in a financial place to throw the kind of money necessary into that project. On a recent visit to the local Harbor Freight I saw a 4 ton hand winch (2-ton single line/4-ton with ****** block double line set up) and it got me wondering. I love harbor freight, but I'm not sure if I could trust that particular hand winch, so I've been looking around for other options that may be better built, but haven't found much.

I found a handful of youtube vids out of Australia walking through how to use hand winches in self recovery, and apart from the increased risk of injury due to the necessary proximity as well as the required physical effort they seem like a completely viable option. There's even the added benefit of being able to easily position at the front or rear of the vehicle, even to the side of the vehicle.

I've always heard to at least get a winch rated at 1.5X the vehicle's weight, but one of the videos I watched said it wasn't even necessary to get a winch rated to the vehicles weight. The video seemed professional and the guy seemed like he knew what he was talking about - I think it was from some 4wd magazine or something.

I'd love to hear thoughts on how well this kind of system works, and if anybody has any suggestions for a specific hand winch model that would also be helpful.

fawcett_chad

Reaction score
Want to add that I drive a 2008 LR3, so as most of you are probably aware it is about 2.75 tons.

Last edited:

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wyeth-scott is your answer , not harbour fright .

fawcett_chad

Reaction score
Harbor Fright -I like that. I love that store, but when it comes to this, I don't think I'd want to risk it.

The Wyeth Scott winches are exactly what I was looking for, just wish they were even more affordable. Still a lot cheaper than an electric winch install.

proslambanomenos

Reaction score
heh, i bought one of those harbor freight hand winches on a whim last time i was there. i haven't used it though. i think at the time i just figured it would at least offer some versatility to a recovery situation.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a Wyeth Scott hand-winch a few years ago. I keep it in a duffle bag along with a set of jumper cables; throw it in the back of the Rover when I go out. I've never used it. there was one time I could have, but I had buddies in other vehicles there, one with a winch, and I got sorted out that way. I suppose I should practice with it once or twice...but I never go out alone, anyway.

fawcett_chad

Reaction score
American Power Pull or Hi Lift Jacks

Yeah, it's really not something I plan on using much, which is the main reason I don't want to invest in an electric winch setup. I want something that I can be confident will work in the rare event that I will need it, but I don't really plan on doing anything too technical, and it would be more just for peace of mind than actual necessity.

I found a knock off of the Wyeth Scott from American Power Pull that costs half as much, but is pretty much identical in design and function. The only real negative thing I've read about it is just from Wyeth Scott owners who are probably mad that they paid twice as much for their winch.

The other option I've been researching is the hi lift jack option. I don't have rock sliders, so it may not be very functional as a jack, but if I could use that as a hand winch, then someday if I were to add the sliders, it would have that function. Anyone else have experience with that type of set up?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know of it. Seems reasonable; more functional, even...if you have a place to mount the jack.

xray132

Reaction score
Like my ARB Magnum

I carry an ARB magnum. 5300lbs pulling, 3500lbs lifting capacity. I like the 65ft of 11mm wire winch rope to extend my electric winch instead of dragging my synthetic line on the rocks. I have a friend with a Wyeth-Scott and it is a quality piece. Did the hi lift thing once that was enough because it took forever to re-rig several times and I mean forever. It worked but never again that's why I carry my ARB.

howardduff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://rigging.com/index.php I worked in an automotive engine factory and the mill wrights used chain falls to lift objects into the over head. The above url has some. They are more expensive than the cable come along but less expensive than an electric winch. They are heavy but if you are stuck they can come in handy. They also have limited length, you can always carry extra cable or synthetic line.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635