hard clunk when shifting into reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

discoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like the title of the thread says, I'm am getting a solid clunk noise (one I can feel through the vehicle) when I shift the automatic into reverse. It usually doesn't do this when shifting from park to reverse, but it does do it when shifting from drive to reverse. Is this a cause for worry or is it normal? Is there anything I can or should do maintence wise? I'm prepping the vehicle to sell it and don't want this noise to be an issue of concern for a prospective buyer.

lowwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very normal this had been on every rover site about the classic clunk. Milage? If its really bad than you can have a problem. Before I shift into gear I place the shifter to neutral foot off the brake for a slight roll then brake again then select gear. 90% of the time no clunk. People thinks its weird but it works.

97rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One or both of your tranni mounts could be bad. Had the same issue with my Beamer just replaced the tranni mounts and it went away. $35.00 fix parts from the dealer. Real easy to look for crawl under and take a look see if they are torn or squshy.

Reaction score
Its a common fault with the auto box. It doesn't affect the box in any way and it will only come back if you try and fix it. It's a bit like fixing ford cortina void bushes!

discoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks lowwill. I was experimenting yesterday with the shifter and found that the clunk was most prominent when I was in a hurry and was quickly shifting into reverse. If I took a second or two and/or used neutral breifly by releasing the brakes that the trans shifted quite smoothly and there was no bad noise. I suppose that holding the brakes and shifting from drive to reverse that the trans is "loading up" or binding slightly, and that slight pause in neutral helps to release it. Just a guess.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM