Has anyone reflashed their 3.0SC V6 aka Tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is an over-generalization, but often "tunes" are adjusting throttle response to provide more power with less movement of the accelerator pedal. This gives a big improvement via butt dyno, but may show little to zero power gain on a dyno (or at a dragstrip), at least for normally aspirated engines.

Forced induction engines generally get the same throttle-response bump, along with more boost, to provide real gains (pulley swap needed for supercharged applications). As mentioned above, a lot depends how much R&D was put into the tune. Sometimes, sadly, the customers are the beta testers. Especially for low-volume engines/vehicles.

:oops:

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on MPG. anecdotal of course, but my average mpg prior to the tune was 13.5. After the tune and about five or six tanks of gas it is 14.4. I drive a mix of LA city, and LA freeway in the hills, going 80-85mph. not exactly the direction i thought it would go, but, there it is.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update on the tune. I've gotten used to it now. It does feel like a different truck. Lots of life in the gas pedal. The big areas i see every day are the ease of passing people at 70-80mph roll on, on ramps, etc. I don't race cars at stop lights (it would still lose) and i try and drive smoothly in the city. My only complaint would be the touchiness of the throttle down low, but i have mostly modified my gas foot around that. I would say it was 30 percent too mushy and unresponsive before and now it is 20 percent too responsive.

The tune combined with the EBC brake upgrades make this thing stop and start about 20-30% better overall. i carry 20mph more speed onto exit ramps and the brakes shut it down fast. I really feel like the truck should come this way. But then again, i drive my friend's raptor and it feels like all trucks should drive that way.

jettore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuji4, thanks for the update. Sounds like great improvements. It's definitely a change i'm interested in when I get closer to warranty ending.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If only it were turbos... you’d be seeing 450hp and a lot more torque plus fuel economy when easy on it.

My bmw 535 wagon in-line 6 tt has 420lb-ft now and still gives me 27-30 mpg if cruising 65-70. It’s a 6mt too though.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines great. With the transmission fluid and oil and Diff fluids done recently it is super smooth. Tons of power. About due for another set of brake pads. Highway cruising is much improved up steep inclines. It will hold a taller gear at 80+. No issues so far that are tune/pullies related.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine pulley and tune from velocity AP. Got the crank pulley from eBay when I rebuilt the snout. Bought the snout with the smaller pulley already installed.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines great. With the transmission fluid and oil and Diff fluids done recently it is super smooth. Tons of power. About due for another set of brake pads. Highway cruising is much improved up steep inclines. It will hold a taller gear at 80+. No issues so far that are tune/pullies related.

I know this isn't a transmision fluid thread, but you mentioned that the car feels smoother. I too have just recently changed out my transmission fluid and all the diff fluids and I notice the shifting to be smoother. I wasn't expecting to feel any difference, but very happy with the surprise of smoother shifting.

Did you notice similar results?

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this isn't a transmision fluid thread, but you mentioned that the car feels smoother. I too have just recently changed out my transmission fluid and all the diff fluids and I notice the shifting to be smoother. I wasn't expecting to feel any difference, but very happy with the surprise of smoother shifting.

Did you notice similar results?
Yeah for sure. Although in my case I also did a sonnax zip kit because we had the thing apart so it was the fluid or the zip kit or both that contributed to my dramatically improved shifting. Not sure but since it was not a huge cost I decided to throw some **** against the wall.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV