Heavy Duty Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
Recently, I picked up a 2006 HSE and it has the full-size spare tire. So just to confirm, I should have the HD package, right? Any possibility to have only the full size spare and not the differential?

This is a stupid question but if I do, what is the indicator in the shifter area explaining the differential? Is this the low range?

Thanks.

98GRDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get it cause it is always better to have then wish you had it. Plus Full size spares are always nice to have.

spatterso

Reaction score
No kidding, and that is a big bonus to having the HD package, as I'm sure the wheel and tire combo costs the same if not more, purchased separately.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get it cause it is always better to have then wish you had it. Plus Full size spares are always nice to have.

That's exactly why I had HD option. I had similar experience. Dealer didn't have it and tried to talk me out of it. They initially said they couldn't find one with HD option but only after they realized that I wouldn't change my mind, they magically(?) found one.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently, I picked up a 2006 HSE and it has the full-size spare tire. So just to confirm, I should have the HD package, right? Any possibility to have only the full size spare and not the differential?

This is a stupid question but if I do, what is the indicator in the shifter area explaining the differential? Is this the low range?

Thanks.

That should be a good indicator, unless someone added a full size spare after the fact (not a difficult thing to do). I don't believe there is any other way to tell - even the nav shows the rear diff lock in the offroad mode, regardless of whether it is really there.

Maybe someone else knows if there is a different, physical way to tell (like the diff actually looks different, etc).

-Rich

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 SE to which I have added the full size spare only.

Isn't there a lock/unlock indicator on the info screen on the nav box in the HSE (showing graphically both diffs if you have them)?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's an idea, take your LR3 offroad, get into a sticky situation and have a passenger watch the 4x4 information screen to see if the graphic shows your rear diff locking and unlocking.

Done.

bLuLRIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, stragely, two different salesman are telling me that the heavy duty package has been discontinued. Anybody with LR connections, please confirm or refute this statement!!!!

I am also being told that if you order a black interior, you will only get a piano black wood (2008) and the beige/walnut combination is the only combination. I feel like it is only to push the on-lot inventory, but I can't be sure.

Anyone recommend a dealership that will give me what I want?? I am in the Southern CA area.
GO TO A BETTER DEALER..... go to a Land Rover ONLY dealership. Put it this way, my dealership owns a farm in the country that invites their customers once a quarter for a luxary driving experience off road in the country! Exclusive to their customers. Apparently its an awesome learning experience to see what Yours (or a loaner) can do!

Robert Page

Reaction score
That should be a good indicator, unless someone added a full size spare after the fact (not a difficult thing to do). I don't believe there is any other way to tell - even the nav shows the rear diff lock in the offroad mode, regardless of whether it is really there.

Maybe someone else knows if there is a different, physical way to tell (like the diff actually looks different, etc).

-Rich

Look at the rear diff. Up on top is a motor and gear assembly that is not there on an open diff. See this great cut away: http://www.cutawaycreations.com/cutaways.php?project=land-rover-electronic-rear-differential It is a fair bet, but not a sure bet, that if you have a full size spare, you have the HD package.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 SE to which I have added the full size spare only.

Isn't there a lock/unlock indicator on the info screen on the nav box in the HSE (showing graphically both diffs if you have them)?

There is a lock/unlock indicator in the nav, but it is there regardless of whether you have the HD package or not (at least on ours it is).

-Rich

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nico3dd