Hello all!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

archiecat1

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and forums in general so please go easy on me. I have an 05 freelander 1 td4. This car I love however it has plagued me with reliability issues since I bought it but it is growing on me the more I pull it to bits and repair it. I'm looking for some gearbox advice, if anyone has any info on this I would really appreciate it.
This is the story..... I put 2 new tyres on the front of it, about 2-3 weeks later going around a roundabout a large clunk from transmission. Car started shaking and gearstick started vibrating aggressively. Got out checked it, gear oil out of nearside driveshaft in gearbox. Split driveshaft boot and inner cv joint on same side with loads of play in gearbox. Mmmmmmm...... I thought. I have another engine to put in it anyway so looks like this is the time for a front end rebuild !!!!! Engine out gearbox out etc. Full engine bay blast and repaint along with front wheel arches. All is looking good. Now gearbox, a loose crownwheel/ diff in casing !!!!! So I split the gearbox and measured the gap where the taper bearing outer races seat in both sides of the casing and measured 148mm, I then measured the crownwheel / diff assy with bearing sizes added and shims and end up with 147.5mm. This is half a mm of play when cold.
I am a machinist and work with bearings and gearboxes on other large machines but this seems wrong to me. If I was to rebuild it as I've taken it apart but with new bearings it will still be rattling about. Others I have spoken to say "yeah it should have play in it".
Has anyone come across this or can advise me please ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum... I am not a machinist but can say for certain if you think there is too much play in something that has already broken make it better :)

archiecat1

Reaction score
Hi joey, thanks for the vote of cofidence. I'm still unsure and need to get back to look at it. Not sure if where the bearings rollers sit in position on the bearing race or how far in to the tapered race they sit. More measuring work before assembly I think. Unfortunately the bearings are pressed on and i will most likely destroy them trying to get them back off.
Is this a better coversation for the technical section for others that may have this problem as there are many vcu issues and gearbox related issues. If this is the problem could be useful to someone ??

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Better put in the tech section, but keep in mind not a lot of freelanders or their owners on the forums.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo