hello & help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chloe

Reaction score
Hello, I am getting quite scared with what I am reading about my (new to me) freelander. I bought this for my daughter and she loves it (so do I). We have had it for 2 weeks and yesterday the key wouldn't go in the door, the key starts the car but won't go in the lock. Any suggestions? I have an appt in 3 days, but don't want her to drive to school with car unlocked. Also, the radio LED light doesn't work any suggestions on this, too?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum... Radio LED, do you mean the security flashing light? If so this is because the door isn't locked.

Key will not go in the door? This is a new one on me. Have you tried spraying in some breakfree or some of your favorite lube? Don't you have the remote to lock and unlock the doors? This would help.

Also what year do you have, don't be scared about everything your read, remember that most of what you see on here is from the few people that have issues, not the majority... and yes I may have even said in a few places about known issues with freelanders... the big thing is take care of the little stuff while it is little... if it starts to get big... trade it off.

chloe

Reaction score
Thank you so much for responding. When I bought the car, they did not provide keyless entry or owner's manuals. I have since purchased both. The dealer was informative and said it appears that someone tried to break in with maybe a screwdriver. I will still try maybe some powdered graphite, but the keyless entry suffices. My concern is that the car alarm never went off. I am reading the owner's manual to figure out why. The freelander is 2002 and so far we love it. Unfortunately, yesterday my daughter had a blowout, but she was able to control it and change the tire. I know this can happen with any car, but the inexperience, well let's just say it scared the crap out of me. The original mechanic I had look at it at presale, the dealership, and now the tire place all have said that it is in great shape with no issues so, so far, everything is looking good. The dealership did do some brakelight recall, do you know of anything else?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The alarm will only go off if the door is opened and the door was locked via the key or the remote. It is not what I would call a real vehicle alarm.

Other known issues... I would ask the dealer for a list of TSB's if they will give them to you. You will find a lot of info there.

chloe

Reaction score
Thanks! Okay, now the rear window made a loud pop and now just whirrrs. Of course, the window no longer works and the check engine light is on. Back to the dealer in a week (that's the earliest they can get me in). Ugh! We still love the car, but I hope nothing else goes wrong!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Window pop, sounds like it broke the little wheel that holds the window in place $.10 part, but it will cost $100+ for the window tract and if LR installs it, figure another $200 or so for the work.

Check engine light, stop by your local autoparts store and have them read the code for free.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99