Hello & Thanks in advance for any help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alfonsodcas

Reaction score
99 Discovery with fuel pump problem.

I have a 99 DISCO I since '99. It has been very reliable untill yesterday. The Vehicle Would Not Start and I found a vaccum line disconected and it worked after fixting it. Next Morning it just cranks and cranks and does not start.
I have checked all fusses and all are OK.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Alfonso

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Vacuum line was a fluke...

We need a little tune up back ground to help with this...

Also can you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key on?

Fuel pump is in the fuel tank... but you can hear it in the trunk area (need 2 people one to hear the pump and one to turn on the key.)

alfonsodcas

Reaction score
Thank you for the tip. I removed the fuel pump and made sure all connections were good. Cleaned up the botton of the well and tryied ouside the tank. It worked. Re-intalled and it is working.
Should I be concern that it will fail again? How reliable are these pumps? Although the LR is operating I am uneasy with it.

Again thank you.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be a clogged fuel filter... could be bad plugs, wires or several other items... that is why I asked for a maintenance history.

alfonsodcas

Reaction score
The car did not run long. It stalled in my driveway not long after starting it.

Over the weekend, I replaced the fuel pump and the fuel filter. The car runs fine. I opened the old fuel pump and realized I was lucky it lasted this long. The brushes were almost used up, the commutator was worn-out and one of the contacts to the brush was ready to snap.
After reading about this problem I have realized that the pump should have been changed sooner even if it had no symptoms and the filter should have been replaced at least twice.
The DISCO has over 140K miles. This should have been done around 100K to avoid problems. Luckily for me, it happens in my driveway. I could have been stock far away.

The car has been at the dealer several times and not once it was recommended by them to do this type of maintenance.
If you are reading this message and have a DISCO with over 100K miles and you have never replaced the fuel pump, doit now.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Also to add, you should always change the fuel filter if applicable on all fuel injected vehicles every 10 - 15k... the longer it goes without being changed the harder it is on the fuel pump.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99