Help in Denver Area- Disco Inspection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CHRIS APALLAS

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm CRYA. I happily owned a '12 322 for 5 years and mistakenly parted ways at 100k. Well, after the AMG bug wore off, I'm strongly searching for an LR4 with HD of course. Reaching out to see if there are any generous souls in the Denver area that might be able to check out a rig for me? The fly and drive thing doesn't work currently with all the COVID stuff. Lemme know if anyone is available. Go Buffs!

DirtyHal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pay for a professional inspection. Should only be $200 and there should be lots of shops in denver who should be close enough to wherever the car is located. This plus the service history should be enough info to base your purchasing decision off of. If the car doesn't have a service history, don't buy it.

CHRIS APALLAS

Reaction score
Just pay for a professional inspection. Should only be $200 and there should be lots of shops in denver who should be close enough to wherever the car is located. This plus the service history should be enough info to base your purchasing decision off of. If the car doesn't have a service history, don't buy it.
Yeah thanks. I hadn't considered those mobile inspection services. Great idea. I was thinking it's always good to have another enthusiast's perspective on the rig.

BPFUNK

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm CRYA. I happily owned a '12 322 for 5 years and mistakenly parted ways at 100k. Well, after the AMG bug wore off, I'm strongly searching for an LR4 with HD of course. Reaching out to see if there are any generous souls in the Denver area that might be able to check out a rig for me? The fly and drive thing doesn't work currently with all the COVID stuff. Lemme know if anyone is available. Go Buffs!
Call Roadside Werx. Great LR shop in Denver, they should be able to coordinate something.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the car doesn't have a service history, don't buy it.

I don't buy that: The past 20 years 11 months of LR ownership with my own service and maintenance history. Being told by a LR service writer plus two older mechanics all LR certified mechanics also personal friends. All telling me my servicing is of higher standards than their dealership can offer with the parts department giving me a parts manual plus a factory service and repair manual.
Granted taking much longer not going by LR's hourly labor dollar profit margin chart pace they must maintain or be dismissed.......~~=o&o>......

DirtyHal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't buy that: The past 20 years 11 months of LR ownership with my own service and maintenance history. Being told by a LR service writer plus two older mechanics all LR certified mechanics also personal friends. All telling me my servicing is of higher standards than their dealership can offer with the parts department giving me a parts manual plus a factory service and repair manual.
Granted taking much longer not going by LR's hourly labor dollar profit margin chart pace they must maintain or be dismissed.......~~=o&o>......

I wasn't saying it needed a factory service history, or that you personally don't know how to service a car. I was saying that no service history (Private owner or dealer) CAN be an indication that it hasn't been taken care of. Why would you buy a car as expensive and complicated as these ones with a completely unknown history??

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to ruffle feathers DirtyHal. Have seen and heard from the service writer that's a personal friend comment about LR owners as I used to be a regular hanging around the dealership a lot.
Able to spend time in the service writer office as well the back area with the mechanics.
As told people in this high dollar neighborhood area dealership area "the model, color and number of cup holders matters the most to them" the ervice writer reply.

On stealership records, that's total BS. The PO of my 95 D1 a PITA doctor always in the dealership complaining about every little item even if they didn't exist.
At end of his 5/60K mile lease he was going to buy and keep this D1 besides it required the major 60K full service at end of lease.
They checked off a lot of items and charged him dearly including new rotors, pads and Michelin's including spare they replaced. Old spare had under 100 miles wear.
Personal home issues same day the PO had as his wifey purchased a new top of line Lexus. Valet parking two vehicles only at highrise condo, his Porsche stays, D1 must go.
At 43 miles from "major 60K service" with billing charge receipts checking the D1 on a friend's lift I noticed clutch ***** as well all four brake caliber bleed ****** caps still sealed from factory with undersealing and road dirt, NEVER REMOVED or touched from date of manufacture.
Wheel bearings cleaned, repacked and adjusted, nope, wheel bearings tightened with way too much preload that would of resulted in brown burnt rollers.
Engine oil change with filter that they did but not the transmission and transfer case.
Oil checked in both axles, nope a rag wipe around the fill plugs, same procedure with tranny and transfer case. It didn't leak so why check and change level? All the drain and fill plugs did "seize pop loose" from being torqued from the factory not removing three days later.
Questioning stealership about their full service bill they basically told me to "F--K OFF, your not the PO talk to him!

Photos with a nice letter to LRNA, did get quick action against that stealership. "Bring it in we will service it completly for you FOR FREE".
Yeah right trusting them, I don't think so. I do my own vehicle maintenance and engine building.

It gets better, end of 7/100K extended warranty by Western General with 3.9 engine replacement. Rear main leaking three times after removing tranny all within 8 total miles test ride leakingh again. Dealership service writer on my side, Western General not.

Took an attorney letterhead letter ending them trying to weasle out by a patch job repair turning this into a factory new 4.6 short block. Saved them money as a 3.9 not available plus costing more than a 4.0 or 4.6 shortblock. Selected the 4.6. Waiting for block being shipped "borrowed" heads and intake, installed different material valve guides, new valves and a valve job, port matched then did some porting. Worked on a sunday (dealership closed) with mechanic friend asembling engine with aftermarket timing set, cam and lifters. Mechanic friend cash rewarded allowing us to assemble the engine. Monday an easy day for him just install and break in the new cam, I supplied the oil and break in additives. ......~~=o&o>......

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM