Hi All - Considering a Landy...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

LandyLight

Welcome james, I dont know how impressed you are with ebay but i got my 1995 Disco 1 off of there. It has 100k and i paid $4900 for it. Everyone who has seen it would swear it is a new vehicle , body is beautiful, leather is in awesome shape , no stains any where and all electrical is functional. I made sure everyhting worked ran and sounded good before i even let the seller even see my money. I actually won a different one drove 2hrs and it was a POJ so i told i am not buying it and everyhting was cool and the gang. Beware though i did much research on these vehicles before getting one such as potential rust spots, rear calipers sticking, engine, exhaust and so on. Do your research and be sure to get the CARFAX reports they are a good asset to see where your landy has been. BE PATIENT it will come to you.
My 1995 D1 is a great truck i LOVE it and i am stuck on the Discos.
I have also found if you have any mechanical background and you have sometime you can work on these vehicles preety easily. HOPE this helps. :bandit:

A

apostrophe

Thanks for the welcome.

Thomas, I'll be looking in the GTA for sure, it seems like most of the trader.ca listings are in TO or Scarb/Thornhill way. But would probably have to wait till 3-5 potentials were around so I could spend the day checking around the GTA instead of making a trip each time.

There's a place in Queenston (between Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lake- about 20 mins from here) that I've drove past that always had lots of Series II and III's so this weekend I may stop by there and see if they ever get Disco's.

Adam, ebay.ca has only just started listing auto's so I've been checking them out, lots for sale in the US but I'd rather not have the headache of importing a car into the country, and I believe unless it's over 15 years old it's a total headache. Hopefully now that ebay.ca has a motor section there'll be more Landy's showing up.

My only concern with eBay is not being able to see the vehicle before placing a bid, although if it was in the area maybe the seller would allow for a visit and test drive.

James

L

LandyLight

James i completely understand what your saying sorry i didnt relize you were in CANADA and that it is difficult to bring in a US car.
The way i looked at buying a car on ebay if it was within a two hour drive of me i would consider it. If i drove there and it didnt meet my criteria i would walk away 1 negative on my feedback isnt worth $5-10k . Just a thought.
Once again GOOD LUCK and be PATIENT you will find the one for you. :bandit:

A

apostrophe

Landy Light said:
Once again GOOD LUCK and be PATIENT you will find the one for you. :bandit:

I was picking up the wife tonight and waiting outside the place in the Mini and a beaut silver Disco drove up then down the road, we both were checking out eachs others wheels, really tough to be patient after seeing that :D

J

JackUnion

Hi James, good to have another Ontarian on the site, if you do decide to go for a LR product give me a shout, [email protected] I'm Pres of the Toronto Area Rover Club, always willing to help out a new LR guy, I used to sell quite a few used Disco's and RR's (I don't anymore, now mainly into parts and Defenders) I know them well and I would be happy to check out any truck that you find around Toronto for you, free of charge of course. The best place to look is most likely The Auto Trader but be careful they rust like devils up here in Canada and it's not always easy to pick out the good from the bad!, Happy hunting!

A

apostrophe

Thanks for the kind offer Jack! Hopefully can take you up on it some time.

I'm still at the stage of deciding wether or not we need a 2nd vehicle right now (I run my small business from home so only one of us commutes anywhere) but I reckon when we do purchase it will be a used Disco or maybe a RR if its in good nik.

I thought body rust was one of things you didn't have to worry too much about with a Landy? I guess all the salt here in winter is the exception :(

James

J

JackUnion

LR's do rust esp up here in Ontario with all the salt the Govmt puts on the roads. The problem with LR's is that people tend to think "Oh! their alluminum so they don't rust" the truth is they tend to look good on the outside, then when you open the door or have a good poke about they rust in lots of other places. The outer panels are fixed to steel inners and those bit's rust, always have a good look over the truck, not just the exterior. They rust across the Bulkhead behind the engine, inside at the bottom of the doors, rear door, floor panels under your feet... I could go on but it would take me a couple of days. Most cars rust but the trouble with LR's is because you don't see it from the outside, you tend to not do anything about it. My advice is check out each one carefully and when you find a good one, buy it and straight away get it rustproofed, then do it every year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72