hitch storage location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. So while the original owner did get a ton of ad-ons including the iPod dock on the dash and USB aux hub in the glove box, and this LR3 still had every accessory like the bag for roof rack rails, all of the documents, and factory hitch wiring, there is no sign of the factory receiver hitch in the rear HVAC area. Bummer. Guess I'll have to order one...
You can find the hitch receivers on eBay and the like, the only problem being you do not know their providence.

The key thing is the bit that retains the receiver to the vehicle.

There were a three variations of the locking bit; the green one with the red key is the newest and probably what to look for if buying used. First there was a black key, then an orange, and finally the red; each key indicative of a changed and we hope presume improved design.

You might also consider purchasing the shorter one, the LR4 model as for certain, it has the newer locking bits. Also do not lose the key or for certain, make a duplicate.

Below is a link to a pretty good thread on the lock.

https://www.landroversonly.com/threads/receiver-hitch-key.30399/

The broken receiver on the left is one of the longer LR types - breakage is not common.

The broken receiver on the right is from a Prado, also not typical.

In both cases, I do not know what the owners did but it suggests Toyota is not perfection either.

LR3 Female Receiver stubby one part number LR019990 red key.jpg LR3 Female Receiver stubby one plugged in.jpg D3 hitch broken IMG_0208.jpg Prado broken tow receiver.jpg

PWD2

Reaction score
Im on my second LR hitch, an lr4 one. I had lr3 one previously. Complete garbage in my opinion. Do not leave on the vehicle for any length of time as they can be hard to get off. Even only installing it when towing and lubricating mine with graphite lock lubricant it takes some banging to get it out. My next one will be bolt on aftermarket. There are a few options.

I do hope the new defender has a frame built in 2" receiver. No more troublesome expensive hitches please..

PWD2

Reaction score
Why would you leave it in???
If folks have no immediate off road plans they may well be tempted to just leave it on, especially they were towing on a somewhat regular basis.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess. I have one and it stays in my shed if I'm not about to use it.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You only do it once.
If folks have no immediate off road plans they may well be tempted to just leave it on, especially they were towing on a somewhat regular basis.
The best reason for removing the tongue thingy is your legs and your dignity.

Even the macho guys around here with the jacked up pickups remove their drawbars once they have near crippled themselves doing a face plant while hooking one leg into it while chasing around the back of their pickup.

With our LR setup, the less that lock mechanism is exposed to road salt and the like, the better.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm a purist. My hitch receiver is in my shed and my amber cover-thingee is in that rectangular hole.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm a purist. My hitch receiver is in my shed and my amber cover-thingee is in that rectangular hole.
I guess that would be this. The plug is characteristic of the detail LR does put into their vehicles.

LR3 Receiver Plastic Plug red.jpgHitch Cover Blanking Plug p n KNG500013.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut