Hot Start Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your idle air controller (IAC) i believe is mounted on the rear driver's side of your intake plenum box (top).

Mine is on the throttle body, but mine's a '97

If you do a search, search "cleaning IAC" or "cleaning stepper motor(same thing)"

read about it, even if your reading about a different type, the solutions are identical.

Do not push/pull the stem, as you will change the reference point that your ECU has developed over time.

Finally, the idle jumps in park/neutral as you've removed the driveline load from the engine, but the IAC can't drive closed due to carbon buildup.

I used a toothbrush & wd40 to clean mine, don't forget to clean the hole that you pull it out of.

After it's cleaned, repost for more suggestions.

luck,greg

Last edited:

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing I would add is that there is better sensor cleaning sprays out there than WD40 - and for crud-busting as well; take a look at NAPA - Sea Foam comes in a spay can ideal for cleaning situations.

Wolf

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM