How do you say "Hill Descent Control" in Spanish?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I would not want to be the guys at the bottom of that one hill... I'd be wincing as I looked in the rearview mirror

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting technique - full throttle and full brake.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forget HDC, these guys look like they weren't even in 4-LO!

I rarely use HDC myself...with the LR3's craw ratio it's not even really necessary, but these guys went nuts! I also think the camera was being tilted a bit.

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of my neighbor driving down our hill on ice. Slam the brake hit the curb stop and repeat.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This actually brings up a question I had... I was coming down a usually good dirt road the other day, but the road had had snow on it, and that snow had been melting so it had turned a bit muddy. There was also a tiny bit of snow left (maybe an inch), so it was quite slippery. The road was steep enough and slippery enough that if I braked fully I could feel my rear end beginning to slide off to the side. I tried turning on HDC mid-descent, but it felt like it was going to do the same thing, so I quickly turned it off. I realize that I could have fiddled around with the HDC speed threshold, but I didn't really have time for that, lest I slide off the road. I also tried putting it in 1st gear in 4-low but I just started sliding again, too. What I ended up doing for the most part was putting it in 2nd gear in 4-low and tapping the breaks when I need to. It was still a bit unnerving in parts (because we on the side of a hill, so sliding off one of the sides would mean tumbling to the bottom). I'm just curious if anybody has suggestions for this situation. One of my biggest problems was likely that my tires are quite worn (but I'm getting new ones next week).

Last edited:

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same thing happen to me going down a steep slope a few days after purchasing my LR3. Just as you stated the back end started to come around. I dont really understand how you had time to switch all the controls I just had time to floor and say a prayer. I was in 4 hi and really had no plan to go down the hill I was just very careless.

For some reason what works for me is to go in 4 lo in 1st or 2nd gear and actually stay on the gas a little on the way down. I have the HDC on but I think the system sort of over-rides it when your on the gas and if you need to stop it will kick in and help. Im sure this is wrong on may levels but, like I said, it seems to work for me. The problem is you just cant go too slow if its really slick and sometimes you need to hit the gas to steer.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, at some point when gravity overcomes traction, no gearing or HDC or anything will help you. And we all know, with these rigs, gravity has a lot to pull on :)

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think HDC on slick roads or trails is not your friend...particularly ice. I have also had some sliding occur in 4-Lo 1st gear on a REALLY steep hill, and after switching to 2nd gear I had no problems, so gear selection is key. Being on the gas is fine, as long as it doesn't cause you to carry too much speed. In most situations I'm thinking of I have to stop at the bottom (stop sign, intersection, etc) so trying to maintain a slow speed is the tough part.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4