2011 LR4 shimmy/vibration -- control arms? warped or glazed rotors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make a note of the alignment and try to get as close as you can, so that the steering angle isn't off too much - I learned (from members here) that if the steering angle doesn't match the yaw sensor the car will throw a fit and put you down on bump stops. Also note that you should only tighten the bolts fully once you're at normal ride height, so that you don't pre-load the bushings and lead to premature failure.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no way it can be the LCAs

It absolutely can be the LCA. Exact symptom I and others had when the LCA bushings started going bad. Replaced the LCA (and nothing else) and problem went away.

HuskerBred

Reaction score
So I started the front end today expecting the worst after watching nearly every LCA video on the 'tube. It makes me nervous to say every came apart just fine. And I won't need to use the hardware kits I purchased. I'm thinking that at 135k miles, this might be the third time they are being replaced. The bolts are different on both sides. I'm just waiting for my second strut before completing the job. I did have to stop today due to an "emergency" call from one of my mechanically challenged kids because his Audi A4 went into limp mode and he didn't know what to do......

HuskerBred

Reaction score
Done! Honestly, it went better than I thought it would. After saying it came apart easily, I had one stuck ball joint that gave me fits, and I spent a couple hours chasing down an air leak in the passenger shock. I had the alignment this morning and even with my marginal "home alignment" it road and tracked pretty good. The normal height only message popped up, so I tossed on a compressor I've had sitting on the shelf for a while and now its all good! Both LCA had worn out rear bushings, I could move them around with my finger. Thank you for the help.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it fix your vibration issue? I'm guessing it did since you said the bushings were clearly worn out.

HuskerBred

Reaction score
Did it fix your vibration issue? I'm guessing it did since you said the bushings were clearly worn out.
The vibration is completely gone! So smooth now, and the steering feels tighter than it used to. This is why I always come here for answers when I have questions or any issues with my Rover. And I highly recommend watching Dan's video on LCA replacement on YouTube, he's under the "tx from wi" moniker. Excellent information!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut