How long do you plan on keeping your LR3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I just hit 102k on my 2005 today. Getting a little nervous about my next breakdown, as it will be totally on my dime then...(I like the new math on earlier posts...). But I do plan on running it as long as it seems feasable. Planning on Moab next month with SCLR group, and hoping I don't break anything. It's been a great truck!

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since mine is paid off, I've really been thinking about keeping it long term. I'm at 89k now and its been very reliable.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '05 HSE with 76,600 miles. I plan on keeping it until it dies. That said, I drive all of my vehicles very gently. I'll off road when I can and pull boats and campers but I never drive in a careless or abusive way. Think driving with eggs between your feet and the peddles. I am also fortunate that I don't use the LR3 as a daily driver in stop and go traffic.

The future cost to maintain is always a concern when a new, revolutionary vehicle comes out. Within a couple of years the aftermarket either supplies the replacement parts or comes out with a new system. How many old Range Rovers are out there? Yet, you can still buy all the components for the air suspension or a complete coil replacement. The after market suppliers already have air compressors, struts, delrin bushing kits, and computer systems (including NAV systems).

When contemplating the cost to repair an LR3 in 5 to 10 years what I think is most likely to affect the cost is the relative use the vehicle gets and the fact that there are twice as many CV joints, drive shafts, differentials and gear boxes.

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '05 HSE with 76,600 miles. I plan on keeping it until it dies. That said, I drive all of my vehicles very gently. I'll off road when I can and pull boats and campers but I never drive in a careless or abusive way. Think driving with eggs between your feet and the peddles. I am also fortunate that I don't use the LR3 as a daily driver in stop and go traffic.

The future cost to maintain is always a concern when a new, revolutionary vehicle comes out. Within a couple of years the aftermarket either supplies the replacement parts or comes out with a new system. How many old Range Rovers are out there? Yet, you can still buy all the components for the air suspension or a complete coil replacement. The after market suppliers already have air compressors, struts, delrin bushing kits, and computer systems (including NAV systems).

When contemplating the cost to repair an LR3 in 5 to 10 years what I think is most likely to affect the cost is the relative use the vehicle gets and the fact that there are twice as many CV joints, drive shafts, differentials and gear boxes.

Great points, particularly on the parts issue. I am amazed at the new OEM LR parts you can find on eBay very cheap. I almost pulled the trigger (should have) on a brand new suspension compressor. It sold for $106 ($700+ part)! Would be a great item to have on hand when the original one eventually goes. As long as there are good sources for OEM parts (British Atlantic, BP Utah, eBay, etc.) into the forseeable future, I am comfortable with taking the LR3 as far as it will go.

LR3MAND

Reaction score
I've had mine (2006 SE) for almost two years and can't think of driving anything else at this point, the warranty is now up and I'm just hoping nothing expensive craps out.
It gets me from point A to B with no issues and the wife loves it for the visibility in bad weather. Here is hoping it lasts at least another 8 years...

ar_ken

Reaction score
Hoping to keep mine for at least another 5-6 years. I'm out of warranty now (well, since I bought it actually), so I'm just praying that nothing goes wrong.. So far it's been great.. only the ashtray won't go back in. Minor issues though compare to what I've known about Land Rovers of the past.

Great rig. Won't drive anything else in this category. :biggrin:

Auburn92

Reaction score
I bought my 05 new back in fall of 04. Now have 65 K miles. I plan to buy a commuter car in a year or two and keep the LR3 just for boat hauling and camping. So basically don't plan to sell until it costs more to fix than replace.

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got rid of my '05 about 5k miles before the warranty expired. Replaced it with an '08. I was planning to do the same thing with the '08, but I'm rethinking that. I don't much like the LR4 (they moved stuff around in a way that I find awkward, and it feels like too much of a creampuff) so I may keep the LR3 till one of us dies. Same with my wife's LR2.

David

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figure if we stop driving the lr3, it will last a really long time ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM