How long do you plan on keeping your LR3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last year I set out to find a well kept, low mileage LR3 and ended up with a nice 06 SE7 with 33K on the clock and a year left on the factory warranty. My intent was to find what is for me the ideal non commuting vehicle and keep it for the long haul. Plus, it had to be something that I could do the basic maintenance on myself (oil, tune up, brakes, etc) which I feel the LR3 is. Certainly the LR3 requires a bit more maintenance and is subject to a few more quirks than others but it is a great, unique truck and I feel the trade offs are well worth it. I am curious as to how others see it? Is this the classic vehicle that you will take as far as it will take you or will you move on to an LR4 or something else when your lease is up or it's paid off?

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am almost in the exact same situation as you. I bought a black 2006 LR3 with 21k miles last August. I have had no problems and enjoy doing the basic maintenance myself. LR3, for us, is the perfect vehicle. It's very versatile. We have 7 seats, can pull a boat, have fun off-roading, great in the Utah snow, looks nice when going out--on and on.

I am already planning my LR4 purchase, but I figure since I bought an 06 LR3 in 09 that I have to wait until 2013 to buy a 2010 LR4. I am also planning on getting white next time :)

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh.. and I'm almost exclusively wanting the LR4 for the larger engine. I'm not too concerned about the other features.

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on keeping mine until it dies... Or they bring the Defender 110 pickup over here... so probably until it dies haha

Trynian

Reaction score
I usually keep mine about 10 years. I had mine 4 years now. We will see how it goes and if there will be a suitable replacement in the LR future.

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh.. and I'm almost exclusively wanting the LR4 for the larger engine. I'm not too concerned about the other features.

I'm wondering if the LR3 is the last of the LR's that the owner will be able to maintain themselves? I know the LR4 has no oil dipstick and there is much discussion about its servicability by owner.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on keeping mine until it dies... Or they bring the Defender 110 pickup over here... so probably until it dies haha

Oh good point! I am curious to see what Land Rover's "Project Icon" (their Defender replacement) turns out to be. If it is Defender-like and available in the US (which people think it will be), then I would totally spring for one of those instead of the LR4.

Stormtrooper

Reaction score
I would like to keep mine a long time, if it is willing to be nice to me for a long time and not nickle and dime me to death.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine for Expeditionary type travel. That said I will keep it as long as it makes sense financially and is reliable in the back country. Mine is an 05 and I would like to hope that I can get 5-10 more years out of it. In reality that probably will be between 100-130k miles by that time!! (Mostly offroad, this isn't a daily driver for me and sits for weeks at a time) I do as much of my own maintenance and service as I can and stick to factory parts 90% of the time.

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan to give this truck to my son when he's old enough (7 more years).

I really have no intent on getting an LR4 due to the fact that I feel it's strayed too far from it's roots. I'd really like to find a G4 edition to keep as a play truck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635