iPod Functionality on the Dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please explain something for me. If you're just using the Nano to store the music, and shutting it up in the center console forever, where you will never use its screen or interface, why go with the iPod at all? Why not just use a $30 16GB flash drive?

Is the Land Rover dash touchscreen interface different/better for the Nano than for a flash drive?

Like any car who has the integrated apple connection, you get the native iPod menus(playlist, iPod search...etc). USB is only folder driven. Plus, most navs have a limit on amount of music it can access on USB where using an iPod doesn't because the iPod acts as the "brain" and allows the nav to just play the music.

I have an 80gb iPod and all my music - you can't do that with a USB drive, I believe unless LRs nav has overcome this issue wig other OEM navs I've read this about.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope that it is better, the interface for the USB conection is less than desire able.

I'm guessing that the ipod connection allows you access to play lists and such. I don't think there is a way to do playlists on the USB drive.

Rob

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A problem I had using the USB drive, before I got the iPod, was at startup the system reads the entire drive. I found that I had to remove songs from the drive to make it load quicker. I was also wasting a lot of time organizing th drive into folders. The iPod is a much easier, but more expensive solution.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The thumb drive access is really slow. Glad to hear the iPod interface is faster. Does the iPod cable charge the iPod/iPhone as well? If so it would be worth the (high) price tag for the cable.

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the nano or any other iPod b/c all of my purchased music is through iTunes and I know I cant put iTunes music on other MP3s except Apple iPods and as far as using a flash drive, I honestly dont know if the iTunes purchases songs will play from a flashdrive. I am curious to see if anyone else has successfully transferred their iTunes songs to a flashdrive. I know I can put my CDs on a flash drive, but its my purchased song that I care more about.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the nano or any other iPod b/c all of my purchased music is through iTunes and I know I cant put iTunes music on other MP3s except Apple iPods and as far as using a flash drive, I honestly dont know if the iTunes purchases songs will play from a flashdrive. I am curious to see if anyone else has successfully transferred their iTunes songs to a flashdrive. I know I can put my CDs on a flash drive, but its my purchased song that I care more about.

I started buying all my songs from Amazon for this very reason -- they come in mp3 format that can be played anywhere on anything. I don't know if iTunes has added a way to buy music in a different format -- haven't checked this in a while.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Not knocking Amazon at all. Just clearing up a few misconceptions:

There are many portable music players that will play AAC files. AAC is the file format that music purchased through iTunes music comes in.

iTunes-purchased music can be played on a flash drive.

Further, iTunes music has been DRM free since mid-2009.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635