JKS Disconnects

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pondering on idea of getting front sway bar completely off and replacing it with JSK quicker disconnects. That will eliminate underbelly bar that is wayyyyy too close to front driveshaft and plus will give me quick disconnects for offroading.

"Quicker disconnects" are adjustable in lenght and can be mounted as eye-to-pin, so i was thinking eye can go where current sway bar is, and pin portion can be hooked where currenty sway bar bolted to body.

However i am not sure on length. Does someone here had any experience or know max/min lengths of those JKS things? Not that i can remember length of arm of current sway bar either :)

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just take 'em off and leave 'em off, Serg....and spend that money on something else.

With stiff springs like you have, you won't even notice the difference.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Andy, if i would live somewhere flat - i would do just that. But you see - driving in mountains putting you in all sorts of awkward angles and turny turns. I mean yeah my springs are pretty stiff (400Lb rating if i am not mistaken), but i had chance to drive Grand Cherokee here with no swaybars - and it was less than pleasant experience. Plus we having pretty nasty winds from time to time - even with swaybars its weaving pretty nasty.

To summarize - guess i am too chickeny for that :)

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Serg, I've experimented driving without swaybars for some time on two different Rangers. I've always ended up putting them back on for everyday driving. I can't answer any of your questions about the quick discos but I think a swaybar is a good thing to have for those everyday jaunts.

However, with those springs, I'd give it a try and see how it goes. Pull your bars off and see what you think.

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sergei, floating around on the internet somewhere is instructions for **-made disconnects that use reciever hitch pins & some bushings. This won't help your driveshaft clearance issue, but @ least you will be able to get enough drop on your axle to make the driveshaft clearance a real problem! Maybe you can shim the sway bar mounts on frame to get more space? I don't know. Good Luck!, LRW.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i seen those, Lonnie. And in fact Mike @ Aedofab making those "commerically" for like 60 odd bucks, but i dont want just disconnects, b/c my front driveshaft already lost ****** after wheeling on some rocks. And its not been very rocky trail, i'd say. Pity that JKS keeps silent about it :(

And i already got shims in there - gained about 1cm, but its still gonna go away as soon as i will get on obstacles higher than hub or so.. :(

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sergei, have You thought about dual-shocking the front? A friend of mine who also drives a formerly un-named small suv known for rolling over (not j**p) had to do away w/sway bar due to lift kit. Lift kit came w/dual shock mounts, and they assured him that on road handling would be better! I thought it was B.S., but he proved me wrong as he out ran me on a curvey road in the middle of nowhere, time after time! I was appauled & thought something was wrong w/vehicle. Went home, got other un-named small suv (not j**p) out of stable, returned and watch him do it again! Then we switched vehicles, and I got the pleasure of blowing away my own vehicle driving his. The difference was like nite & day! More Good Luck, LRW.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Sergei.

I have been pondering this for sometime, I'm not sure about lifted rovers but JKS will not work on a stock rover...not enough room.

What I have decided to tackle at some point down the road is to aquire a D2 sway bar and attach to the front of the disco frame like they do on Jeeps and D2s. This is a much better location as it is out of the way and one can tie the sway bar out of the wya much easier as well as disconnection will be a breeze.

So if your sazy with the welder, then I think this would be the best option

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sazy with welder. This one thing i am lacking completely :(

Its good idea about relocating that thing, but then you got to create all those weird mointing points and i am not sure there is enough room to do that. If you will get around to manufacture it, Justin - please share pictures.

And idea about shocks is interesting too. You basically using shocks in same way as sway bar, seeing that stiff shocks will react on compression/extension very slowly.

Got to build model :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM