Just completed a 2500 mile road trip for Christmas...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and I have to admit, I'm extremely pleased with the Rover.

It did fantastic - four adults, fully loaded to the gills with suitcases and gifts (couldn't even see out the back) and hit all sorts of crazy weather (fog, snow, ice, you name it). The Rover did great. It went the majority of 650 miles today with the cruise set at 90 (gotta love I-80 in Nebraska) - I was amazed to see we still got 13.5mpg. That may not seem like much, but that was done with a 30+ mph cross wind for most of the way and like I mentioned, fully loaded down. Overall, we only averaged around 14mpg, but for the crappy weather, all the added weight, and my lead foot, I think that is pretty reasonable.

We did run in to two issues - the car sat out while in Iowa with the temp dipping in to the single digits. When we would start it in the morning, it would throw a fault every time. Usually it was the Transmission Fault - Low Traction or something like that. Apparently this is pretty common when it gets super cold out and the battery gets low on power. Once it was started that fault would clear. By far the stangest thing was the little information display actually locked up on one drive - we couldn't use the "I" button to walk through the trip computer, etc. It was just locked on the same screen. Even after we turned the car off, it stayed with the same info on the screen. It was only after the car was off for a while that it cleared up and started working correctlly. The learning? The LR3 likes to be garaged when it is cold :biggrin:

-Rich

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I see those random faults too when it is cold.
Last night it was around 20, I started up the car and got a "Low Coolant" warning on the information screen. It went away when I started driving and hasn't come back since.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Below 30, I get the HDC fault and last night got a parking brake failure. I could set it, but couldn't turn it off. But if it was on and I put it in drive, it just released itself. Very irritating.

Cpa4S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but you must have loved the heated windshield?

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but you must have loved the heated windshield?

You know, half the time I don't know if that thing is working or not. It seems like the actual defroster itself clears the windshield quicker than the heating elements. And it certainly doesn't work as fast as the rear electric defroster. But, at least we've gotten used to the "halo" effect that the elements cause with lights at night :biggrin:

How well do other people's work?

-Rich

Cpa4S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just came from 2 nights of freezing rain in Lake Placid.

each morning it was just nothing to clean the winshield. i turned it on and let it sit for a few minutes and the ice just melted into soft sheets that slide right off. the other cars etc were scrapping long after i finished.

bLuLRIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had similar HDC faults...turns out that my battery was bad. I was getting gas about 1 mile from my dealer. I could not start the engine. Called the service dept and they first told me to call roadside assistance...then I told him where I was...he said... sit tight... 5 min later the Porter came with his Jumping tool. We jumpstarted, I went to the dealer. I explained all the faults and then the parking brake light...He said I need a new battery. Within 20 minutes they installed a new battery all under warranty. To me, thats customer service!!!!!

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that standard or an option?

It's an option, part of the Cold Weather Package, which also includes superbly heated seats (but not the mirrors I think?).

My family thinks my heated seats have two settings:
2 dots: Waffle
1 dot: Toast

Bluebird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found that on cold mornings I turn the key to on an wait about two seconds for the system check light to go out and then I start the car.
Seems to give it a chance to complete the check in process.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9