Keyless entry/central locking stops working when it rains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhellin

Reaction score
I have a 2005 LR3 with an intermittent problem - the central locking/keyless entry system stops working when it rains. And I live in a Oregon! I have the top edge of the the windshield cowl on the passenger side taped as it is warped (replaced twice so I gave up) and I know water got in the past as the passenger foot well has been wet after heavy rain. However, with the taped cowl, this doesn’t seem to be happening. Any thoughts? It’s an inconvenience more than a problem. But if there is a fix, I’d love to know.

hamilton

Reaction score
I had this problem with my 2005 when I first bought it. I took it to Land Rover. Turns out the rain gutters were backed up and draining into inside of car. Check passenger side floor to see if wet. The keyless entry computer stuff is underneath the passenger seat I believe. If it gets wet, keyless won't work. You need to clean out your rain gutters. You can youtubz how to clean them out. If it is wet, pull everything back and put a fan on it overnight, that should dry it out, but only temp fix until it rains again. Hopefully this helps you.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@dhellin , I would look at that area where water was pooling up and make sure it's REALLY dry. Take up the carpet and dry it out with a blow drier. While doing that, look for compromised electrical connections and corrosion.

There are 3 places where water ingress can happen. The A-pillar trim, sunroof drains and past the cowl. Even if your cowl is taped, there could be water getting by and when it does it gets through the pollen filter box. Best thing to do is create a shield and epoxy it to the box. It's not difficult to do. The A-pillar trim fix is easy as well....hell you can address that with duct tape.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Be patient and thorough and you'll get it sorted.

Go BEAVS!

dhellin

Reaction score
Thanks all. I checked and the ****** at the end of the sunroof drain tube had definitely disintegrated. So that was likely the problem. However, I decided to do all three recommended fixes. The cowl and A-pillar trim were pretty simple.

I looked at the drain line repair on YouTube and was somewhat nervous about reconnecting all the wiring in behind the glove compartment. So instead I cut the drain line along the A-pillar and used a fish tape/wire and snaked it down the old tube. I attached some flagging tape to the end so it would be easier to see when it appeared near the hole where the ****** used to be. Very straightforward. Once I had the fish wire through, I taped it to a new drain tube and pulled it back into the vehicle and up the A-pillar while removing the old, cut tube. I then used a 12mm to 12mm push connector to join the old tube from the sunroof to the new tube running to the drain point.

Now I will just wait and see if things are fixed!

Thanks again for the help and advice.

9500joseph

Reaction score
I have a 2005 LR3 with an intermittent problem - the central locking/keyless entry system stops working when it rains. And I live in a Oregon! I have the top edge of the the windshield cowl on the passenger side taped as it is warped (replaced twice so I gave up) and I know water got in the past as the passenger foot well has been wet after heavy rain. However, with the taped cowl, this doesn’t seem to be happening. Any thoughts? It’s an inconvenience more than a problem. But if there is a fix, I’d love to know.

C1721F8A-8C39-4AAE-83A8-C8BCF4F3DCEE.jpeg

9500joseph

Reaction score
My had same problem there are 2 green and white wires connected to 1 green and white wire under passenger door Sill plate Connection goes bad, connection Is wrapped in Blue tape. I unwrapped tape cleaned wires and reconnected with good wire connector. Fixed problem. It’s buried in that mess of wires. It’s a little Tedious to get to but easy fix.

9500joseph

Reaction score
My had same problem there are 2 green and white wires connected to 1 green and white wire under passenger door Sill plate Connection goes bad, connection Is wrapped in Blue tape. I unwrapped tape cleaned wires and reconnected with good wire connector. Fixed problem. It’s buried in that mess of wires. It’s a little Tedious to get to but easy fix.

9500joseph

Reaction score
Also had To dry floors out, it took a few days with a fan. Thus the funnel in the picture holding carpet up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM