Land Rover Service is outrageous.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be that as it may, Nathan's $0.50 joke was poignant and funny! Good one, Woods!

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the truck in for the following items:

1. Rear hatch doesn't work. - they said need new actuator and are repairing under warranty.

2. Suspension rattle. I told them I probably need bushings. Said that they replaced the uppers, then it still rattled, so they went to work on lowers. Couldn't get the bolts out, so they said it would cost $120 to cut off the bolts. I said ok. They called me tonight and said they cut the bolts, and couldn't get them out, so now they need to send to machine shop for another $120. But that is not all. It could cost $1200-$2000 depending on what else is "seized." Hubs, axles, etc. And they haven't even done the other side. I told them get the bolt out at the machine shop, then replace the bolt and forget the rest. When I agreed to the $120 for the bolts, they didn't say that it was a never ending spiral of costs. Now that they cut the bolt, I have no choice but to do the machine shop thing. The extended warranty doesn't cover "corrosion" so I guess you better not drive your truck in the rain or even worse, the salt. This is a 2005.

3. Gas tank - they replaced the gas tank on my dime a few months ago. At first, the gas gauge would sometimes just go to full and then I would run out of gas. They fixed it, but now at 33 miles remaining, and just after the warning light comes on, the tank is empty. They said this is "normal." Anyone here run out of gas with 33 miles remaining and just after the light comes on?

4. I get "transmission fault" errors now and then. I restart and all is good. They said they have to reprogram the transmission with an update. I said ok for $125.

5. I get "engine system fault" every now and then and the truck goes 20 mph. A couple of restarts and all goes away. I don't know yet what they are doing about this.

6. I get suspension faults with the transmission fault. They said I need 2 new suspension height sensors for $550. I said forget it.

7. They said I need a pollen filter and air filter for like 200. I said ok, as it was already there.

The first time they called, I was at like $450 in charges, and I thought that was ok. Now we are up to a grand, and there is no end in sight. And, I have to pay for the diagnostic charges $250 for the faults. What a great warranty I have.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the $250 in diagnostics is because "it takes a different scanner to scan each different fault."

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JZK, as asked before, is this the only place in your area that can do service on your LR3? Are there any independent shops in your area? Have you contacted any local Land Rover clubs and asked them where they recommend for service?

As for the suspension, they replaced the uppers? It's almost never the uppers, and always the lowers. Land Rover makes a tool to remove the bushings, but most dealers just replace the entire assembly because it's faster. But if you are paying, the bushings are a lot cheaper than the entire LCA assembly! If they don't have the proper tool, I'd be hard pressed to pay for any labor charged above and beyond what using the proper tool would allow for.

As for the tank, yes, mine runs out, cough, gag, weeze, choke, stall very shortly after my light comes on, but I always figured that's because I "recontoured" the bottom of my gas tank on various rocks and so forth. I typically can't get a drop more than 20 gallons into my 22 gallon tank.

More recently, my gas gauge has started wigging out, inaccurately reporting the level between full and half tank. Below half tank, it starts to go up again. I refill between 175-200 miles just to play it safe. It is my understanding that the fuel pump and sender (the float) are non-servicable because of where they are located in the tank (way forward). I have not bothered to have mine looked at because I can't afford another gas tank (already on my third due to lack of gas tank skid plates!)

The software charge for $125 seems fair, BUT should include ALL of the available updates, not just the tranny.

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your troubles...I hate to ask, but what warranty do you have? (please please please don't say Ford ESP)

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the $250 in diagnostics is because "it takes a different scanner to scan each different fault."

You are being ripped off. All of the faults are recorded in the ECU, which is plugged into the computer and read at one time.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jzk...do you wheel your LR3? Sometimes they just get cranky being on pavement too much. Like a dog not being walked...

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jzk...do you wheel your LR3? Sometimes they just get cranky being on pavement too much. Like a dog not being walked...

I have been on a trail or two.

67695410.gif

craiglud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JZK, as asked before, is this the only place in your area that can do service on your LR3? Are there any independent shops in your area? Have you contacted any local Land Rover clubs and asked them where they recommend for service?

As for the suspension, they replaced the uppers? It's almost never the uppers, and always the lowers. Land Rover makes a tool to remove the bushings, but most dealers just replace the entire assembly because it's faster. But if you are paying, the bushings are a lot cheaper than the entire LCA assembly! If they don't have the proper tool, I'd be hard pressed to pay for any labor charged above and beyond what using the proper tool would allow for.

As for the tank, yes, mine runs out, cough, gag, weeze, choke, stall very shortly after my light comes on, but I always figured that's because I "recontoured" the bottom of my gas tank on various rocks and so forth. I typically can't get a drop more than 20 gallons into my 22 gallon tank.

More recently, my gas gauge has started wigging out, inaccurately reporting the level between full and half tank. Below half tank, it starts to go up again. I refill between 175-200 miles just to play it safe. It is my understanding that the fuel pump and sender (the float) are non-servicable because of where they are located in the tank (way forward). I have not bothered to have mine looked at because I can't afford another gas tank (already on my third due to lack of gas tank skid plates!)

The software charge for $125 seems fair, BUT should include ALL of the available updates, not just the tranny.

So I gave my gas tank a pretty good beating this weekend, what does it cost to replace....:confused:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dimitricourmousis