LOL. Discovery Sport Named One of CR's 4th Worst Cars in 2015

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a loaded 2015 Evoque for a week. It sucked. For any single aspect, something else does it better or cheaper or both.

They're trying to do what BMW, Audi and Porsche do well which is to make sporty cuv products that are fun to drive, but LR is not doing it as well. The Evoque, at it's price point, is a joke on the buyer.

I completely agree. I had an Evoque loaner and it does suck for the price. A week later I had a Q5 3.0T loaner. Wow! Fun to drive, great nav & info, fast and well worth the price. If the Q5 rear cargo space was bigger I'd have an SQ5 in my garage.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a Disco "Sport" (have to laugh at that) as a loaner the other day. I thought it was awful and agree with the CR comments, hard for me to even write that.

It is gutless, almost no power below 2500rpm. I honestly kept looking at the gear lever and dash wondering if I was starting in 2nd gear or had some "eco" mode enabled. Buzzy and loud engine when up to speed. By comparison, the Evoque has lag but gets moving much more quickly. The DS had lots of interior noise, and seemed very cheap inside. I know it is targeting a different market segment, but even taking that into account, the looks, feel and design of the interior was sub-par to say the least. Finally, and not a surprise to anyone here, the nav/infotainment system was awful. Windows 8 level of awful. Still a little laggy, but the worst part was just doing basic things like tuning the radio or changing inputs was not intuitive at all. The really scary part is that this is their newly designed system, which I imagine will wind up in other models. Wow...

I fear for the brand. Treasuring the time we have in the LR3 and 4 while I can. I don't have high hopes for the Disco 5. :cool:

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Evoque, at it's price point, is a joke on the buyer.

Absolutely true, a friend of mine got an evoque and I asked her if I could drive it just to see what was all about (I own a v8 LR3) and oh my woow was I disappointed! I hated the car immediately! hahaha I guess the evoque is alright for her, a 23 yo woman who only drives to uni and the shopping centre, but absolutely useless to a LR4(3) owner. I expect the "discovery" sport to be kinda the same deal.

Looks like the new Defender will take the path of Merc's G class

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahahaha that ad was far out of the money! but yes more desirable than an evoque or the likes, I genuinely hope the LR5 stays on the same path as the LR4 and the current Defender, meaning one can go kick some jeep and toyota **** :cool:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was a very interesting thread and I agree with many of your comments, though honestly I don't have much experience with gadgets and technology. I will say my 2013 is definitely even a bit behind (technology wise) than the 2010 ML550 I once had for a little while.

I just took a look at my coworker's new BMW X5 fully loaded, highest leather package, and I see what you guys mean - it's a completely different cabin experience. The comfort and technology actually surprised me!!! I also took a look at a brand new Audi S6 today and that was quite nice!!!

For me, I actually hate technology and car gadgets, so I don't mind the fact that the LR4 doesn't match up to it's European or Japanese counterparts. I don't even sync my phone or use the navigation apart from the radio and x4 screen. I don't want any of that, so I am happy, but I do think that LR will need to continue to evolve to meet the needs of consumers who want technology.

As for seating, I've been trying out the seats in a lot of vehicles and man the Land Cruiser and LX are pretty darn nice... Also some of the other European cars are great. I like my HSE Lux seating for their durability and position, but I don't really find them all that comfortable compared to others. Or maybe I'm stupid.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took a look at my coworker's new BMW X5 fully loaded, highest leather package, and I see what you guys mean - it's a completely different cabin experience. The comfort and technology actually surprised me!!! I also took a look at a brand new Audi S6 today and that was quite nice!!!

As for seating, I've been trying out the seats in a lot of vehicles and man the Land Cruiser and LX are pretty darn nice... Also some of the other European cars are great. I like my HSE Lux seating for their durability and position, but I don't really find them all that comfortable compared to others. Or maybe I'm stupid.

You're not "stupid" ;) After all, everyone has different preferences and body shapes and true ergonomic comfort needs.

The LC/LX seats definitely are better but the top of the line 20 way BMW seats are about the best out there for any vehicle under $150,000. I only say that because the current model Range Rover Autobiography has an optional seat upgrade with functions similar to the BMW top spec.

It's just funny though that my BMW wagon which was only about $70k and is 8 years old, has better seats than any Range Rover aside from the Autobiography exclusive optional seats but you have to spend double $.

For a wagon-like vehicle, the BMW X5 with all the fun options is a great travel vehicle. The options aren't just tech junk either, there are several that are more about handling and comfort but some things like HUD and Night Vision are tech I find very useful. I'm not so concerned about bluetooth and apps though.

Porsche does a nice job too and so does Audi but not in all models. The Audi A8 and S8 are what I'd want other than a sports car. The Q7 has always just seemed sort of awkward and weird to be in or drive.

None of those quite match the solid feeling in a Land Cruiser or LX 570 though, and of course the LR4. I guess I just prefer the feel of vehicles with ladder frames and true 4x4 design.

The 2016 LX 570 has a whole new interior dash design and most of the body panels. Both LX and LC 2016 get new 8 speed transmission. LC also gets refresh exterior front and rear ends.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also sat in a G63 with special designo leather package and it was very nice, but not nearly as comfortable as I thought. You know I love the G, but it's a weird sitting position and kind of cramped if you are tall. The back seats are pretty useless.

It's funny because my mom has a Lexus sedan and the leather is so soft and comfortable, and when she visits and rides in my LR4 she says the seats are so hard and uncomfortable. I think they are comfortable, but on long rides they start to make my butt a bit numb. Maybe I need to adjust my seat better, as I may not have it in the best location. This is why I considered getting the lamb skin wool seat covers, as those are very comfortable. I just hate to cover my nice Arabica leather. ;-)

I saw some of the refresh updates on the LC/LX for 2016 and they are nice. I bet it makes the left over 2015s on the lots a bit more discounted than the typical 10k off now. That one Toyota dealership I told you about still has the black LC from last November, it just has not sold.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the G63 special package seats are nice and look incredible. I like very much the shape and fit but what I found lacking a bit was the actual seat adjustment for height and lateral distance, in particular the height was limited compared to the lr3 and even compared to my 2004 Discovery 2.

If a person can afford a new G63 though, they can also afford custom seat modifications ;)

The Land Cruiser and LX are actually the best value for the $ in my opinion. I do like the Land Rover heated windscreen standard though!

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Jwest...

I was trying to be positive on the Disco Sport until I had my '15 in for service about a month ago. They gave me an Evoque to use and it was utterly horrible. Engine = buzzy and anemic, handling = mushy, NVH = moderate. Not to mention ALL of the human input controls (from gas/brake pedals to switchgear) just felt sloppy. I thought that it must have had a long and hard life as a loaner or demo unit but when I cycled through the display I found it had about 4,500 miles on it.

Probably my biggest issue had to be the actual buttons used throughout the interior. They are not quite those annoying membrane switches found on cheap electronics but quite close. Not much travel and they emit a horrible, high-pitched "click" every time you push it; like the noise you can make from a Snapple cap. Just nuts.

I am really happy with my '15 and since it is my first LR, I don't know what I am missing without the V8 :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635