LOL. Discovery Sport Named One of CR's 4th Worst Cars in 2015

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have the link but USA Today had a post on it. "Flat footed engine and a transmission that is unrefined. Handling is 'lumbering' and the entertainment system seems to be from another age."

Wow. Slammed. :eek:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not surprised although I have not driven the Discovery Sport. I have a 2014 Range Rover Supercharged this week and for a $100,000, find some aspect rather lacking.

There is basically no where to put "stuff" so clearly the new RR is not meant for "doing" much other than going to places where you might bring along your rolling suitcase. It will get there fairly comfortably though and quickly ;)

Multiple levels of touch screen inputs are required for things as simple as "turn on my ventilated seat" and practically impossible to just select is "econ" or what I am used to calling "fresh/exterior air" through the vents.

It's amazing that my 2008 era BMW iDrive system is actually faster to use and more intuitive with use of only one input tool, the multi-function dial/button.

What's also ridiculous is that in order to get the very best seats in the Range Rover, the ones with the upper seat back articulation, one must buy the "Autobiography" model. Porsche allows it's best Cayenne seats in a V6 if you like. Turbo S not required!

I'd enjoy a TDV6 Range Rover LWB with the best seats but I do not need a leather headliner or ventilated rear seats to go along with that!

Anyway, the Land Rover lines are really getting a bit weird to me.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good, maybe they will get back to building trucks! As JWest alluded to, I can't believe that the only thing they've managed to do with the terrain knob is terrain settings. Like BMW, that thing ought to control most of the infotainment settings. But it sounds like there are way more problems with it than that. Stick to what you know (or knew) Land Rover!

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As someone who has come from 4 previous BMWs, the electronics (info system) in the LR4 were most shocking to me. As the article said, seem to be from another era.. ie: the early 2000s. LR want to charge BMW and Merc prices, yet lack the refinement by a massive margin. This was not an issue for me when prices on these LRs were $10k - $20k cheaper than where they reside right now. I highly doubt I would shell out $60k+ for a brand new LR4 today if I were in the market.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came from owning 6 previous Audis and completely agree...LR is years behind the Germans with their integration of nav, voice, google maps, etc.

But there is still a market for truck-based SUVs for those of us that go off road, tow a boat, etc. LR, build what you build best...luxurious, capable, rugged SUV's. There are already too many egg-shaped, car-based crossovers out there.

As for CR, their main focus is reliability and gas mileage. They think everyone should drive a transportation appliance.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that I would never look to CR for a review on a very offroad and adventure-capable, semi-luxury truck for which MPG is lower on the list of priorities. But given that the Sport is built on the Evoque platform and that buyers in this category care far more about the infotainment than others I am not at all surprised by the comments. I have been far more impressed with infotainment systems by other makers (though many have still not figured this out and my '14 Acura MDX was a mess.) For me, the infotainment system is secondary. What is more important to me is what Paul pointed out. Off road chops, good platform for exploration and adventure. Ability to tow sizable trailers or whatever. Versatility. And of course a modicum of luxury. In other words, the LR4 (though even that isn't perfect.) I give LR about a 10% chance of getting the full size Discovery "right" for what I need. I don't want a Defender at what are likely to be Defender prices and likely compromises in other areas. So I full expect that when our LR4 gives up the ghost I'll be going with a Land Cruiser. But if things go well that is many years down the road and who knows what will be available then. As for the Discovery Sport, I was never at all interested other than it being an indication of where LR may be headed. And for that it is very disappointing.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As someone who has come from 4 previous BMWs, the electronics (info system) in the LR4 were most shocking to me. As the article said, seem to be from another era.. ie: the early 2000s. LR want to charge BMW and Merc prices, yet lack the refinement by a massive margin. This was not an issue for me when prices on these LRs were $10k - $20k cheaper than where they reside right now. I highly doubt I would shell out $60k+ for a brand new LR4 today if I were in the market.

I wouldn't. In real terms, due to inability to get any discounts, my LR4 would cost me $3k more than I paid - similarly configured. Except of course, I now get a V6, not the V8 I have.

The LR4 is still not a bad deal compared to X5's and GL's, but given how other model updates have gone, it's had to imagine the new Disco not jacking up the price.

At that point, unless the new vehicle is a home run - and it might if they finally offer a good diesel - it will not be a great value proposition.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quijote;161942 The LR4 is still not a bad deal compared to X5's and GL's said:
Yes, I think that's going to end up being their problem. The pricing on lr4 just kept flying upwards but without a proportional value in materials or tech. I admit that the leather and some aspects of the lr4 are nicer than my lr3, they aren't $17,000 nicer. Worse yet when compared to a well optioned X5, there's simply no comparison on seat comfort and tech. The only place the lr4 wins is 4x4 capability and most buyers aren't actually utilizing that any more than an X5 or similar suv can provide and all of those competitors have diesel options and much nicer interior choices if you choose.

I just really wish LR had done a blow out over the top LR4 with multi functional ventilated seats more like in the new RRS and a "rugged pack" where it would come with factory 18" wheels and some skid plates. Not goofy running boards and 20" street tires.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw this "list" the other day. Automotive journalists who tested the new Discovery Sport were overwhelmingly positive. CR should stick to reviewing dishwashers and blenders.

My only complaint about the new DS is that it feels underpowered. The Evoque is far more nimble by comparison.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a loaded 2015 Evoque for a week. It sucked. For any single aspect, something else does it better or cheaper or both.

They're trying to do what BMW, Audi and Porsche do well which is to make sporty cuv products that are fun to drive, but LR is not doing it as well. The Evoque, at it's price point, is a joke on the buyer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM