Looking for advice on taking a stock LR3 up a notch to be a bit more capable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eloist

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've got a 265/65/18 K02 (deflated very low) in the stock spare location, and I'm still able to fit the LR trailer hitch.

I do carry a portable smittybilt compressor with me though, and I've removed the rear exhaust plastic shield

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No no no, just the opposite. i wrote that really poorly. Apologies.

My LR3 has never failed to deliver on any trail i have ever attempted. It's absolutely brilliant off road. I just thoughtfully pick my lines, and trust the Terrain Response system to do it's job.

265/65/18's are perfect for this rig. I wouldn't go any larger, or any smaller.

That makes a lot more sense :) !

Drew888

Reaction score
Still on 19's and will be looking for 18's soon enough.

You'll probably want to add one of the diagnostic tools like the GAP IID, Nanocom Evo or Nanocom Rover-IQ if you don't already have one.

Will fit without any real need to make mods, no issues fully lowered:
265/65/18
285/60/18

Drew888

Reaction score
"Again, I'm not looking to get myself into trouble...just want the confident to get over random obstacles on the way to a remote camping spot.

This is what I'm imagining then someone invites me to a trip and tells me halfway in "you might scratch up your truck today. You should consider adding plates...".

I added a Rhino rack and an iKamper roof top tent - awesome.

GAP tool has also been a good add in general and height adjustment very useful.

I’d like to add some under body protection as mentioned above and a refrigerator in place if the middle second seat is a consideration too.

Not going crazy with the OFFROAD options but something more durable and rugged as a start.

Keep us posted!

Love the iKamper. Curious how you store it when not in use? I just don't have the room. GAP tool or similar I've wanted for a while but the $500 makes it a hard sell.

Good tires and get out there! The only thing I really recommend to start exploring is a full size spare. I daily drive mine with 265/70/18 Cooper S/T Maxx. They rub if it drops to the bump stops, but it’ll still drive. I put a hidden winch mount and a 10k winch on mine since I’m usually out alone. All the armor is cool and I’ll add it someday, but unless you’re really dragging yourself on rocks it’s not necessary. And let’s be honest, the LR3 isn’t the best choice as a rock crawler. Use common sense when it comes to that gnarly terrain, unless you’re out with another vehicle you probably shouldn’t attempt it even if you're armored up.

I've ben out a few times in a completely stock 2008 LR3 HSE w/locker and on Pirelli Scorpion tires on the 19" wheels and managed fine. hasn't been a problem yet but I also don't want it to be going forward. Full size spare is tucked under but probably not the best location for it.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the iKamper. Curious how you store it when not in use? I just don't have the room. GAP tool or similar I've wanted for a while but the $500 makes it a hard sell.

To date, I have just left it on. it is not a DD and it 'just' fits in underground parking. They aren't difficult to remove and at 160lbs, not too tough to handle if you do think about taking it off tho.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've ben out a few times in a completely stock 2008 LR3 HSE w/locker and on Pirelli Scorpion tires on the 19" wheels and managed fine. hasn't been a problem yet but I also don't want it to be going forward. Full size spare is tucked under but probably not the best location for it.

Alrighty then. I just hate to see people hung up on statements like “sliders are a must” to even get out on their first trip.

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been a while (hah) since I posted - it's good to see there are still LR3 owners active.
2008 LR3 w/265/60/18 Hankook Dynapros - never been disapointed.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like Duratrac LT275/65r18 for mixed driving. FYI - The sidewalls are too thin for airing down this heavy pig <25psi. My list:

1) M/T or aggressive A/T Tires
2) Rock sliders
3) Sump guard
4) Gap tool

Have fun! Dont wheel by yourself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA