LR3 Break In ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

Colt45

Hello everyone - - I'm hoping someone can please answer this for me - - I'm picking up my new LR3 tomorrow. I will then immediately be travelling over a mountain range to the eastern part of the state. Total travel mileage over the Memorial Day weekend will be 600-750 miles. Can you please tell me the recommended break-in procedure for the LR3 ? I think I read somewhere on this forum that a new owner was driving no faster than 60 mph. Hmmm, I better leave earlier if this is true ! - - My dealer and the owners manual will probably cover this, but I am planning for the trip now and hoped a new LR3 owner might be able to answer this for me sooner. Thanks, - - -

D

disco1

I don't have a LR3, but all new motors, require a wearing in period (I avoided using the term "breaking"), this is to allow and the moving parts to 'bed' in, so be kind to your pride and joy. "Wearing in" usually takes 2 couple of thousand miles, after this, begin to drive it as you wish.

D

damthrill

Disco 1, are you saying I shouldn't be going full throttle to see how fast it can go yet? or go pedal to metal when passsing, I also called local dealer and they said 1st service/ oil change at 7500. They sales agent said 3500 miles, I usually change oil every 2500 max. So I am all confused, but I live in Northern Cal farm town, and I grew up changing oil 1500 to 2500. I also change oil filter every other oil change.

D

disco1

Do the oil changes as regularly as you like. Oil is cheap insurance and in the wearing in period you need to change more often. With regards to you question regarding you trip and the speeds. It will do no harm to use the vehicle to overtake or maintain 60MPH, just don't engage in an traffic light Grand Prix's for a little while.

C

Colt45

Hello all - - I picked up the new LR3 today and am really enjoying it ! - - I looked at my manual and for the 500 mile break-in period they suggest keeping speed to no more than 68-70 mph (two different speeds quoted in the same manual on different pages) and the engine speed to no more than 3,000 rpm. Do not use full throttle or labor engine in any gear & don't brake heavily (unless an emergency). Don't accelerate quickly. They also advise against using the Sport Mode during the break-in period. - - I put 150 miles on the car today and have several long trips on the schedule so will have the 500 break-in miles on my car easily within the first week to 10 days of ownership. - - - Regards, - -

S

suth150

I got an Lr3 se two weeks ago. Dealer told me that the engines are actually ran for the equivalant of 500 hundred miles before they are put in the vehicle at the factory. He than said that you should still be easy on it for the first five hundred miles like the manual says.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9