New Battery Installed - HDC Not Available / Transmission Fault etc 2005 LR3 HSE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've posted but creeping here alot. Since the pandemic, our family picked up an EV and with today's gas prices that are primary get around car and my LR3 will sit more than be driven. He's and old horse but I still love him and refused to get rid of him. Recently the 4 year old battery died. Before that, the rig had no problems when I started him up and drove around. But after replacing the battery, I'm getting the HDC not available and Transmission Fault signs. The car will drive lowered and I can't manually manipulate the height. More info for you:
1/ I plugged in my OBD and there are no Fault codes.
2/ I tested the alternator and it's good and charging the new battery.
3/ The car started up no problem.
4/ I've done the hard reset (connecting the positive and negative cables for a few minutes).

Not sure what else I can do or figure what's wrong. Open to any suggestions.

greg00

Reaction score
Usually it's the other way round. New battery should cure the problems you describe ;)
For me it was a loose battery cable when I had similar faults after replacing the battery.
Did you wash the engine?

Last edited:

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right?? I thought a new battery would solve everything. What started the process was the car wouldn't start. Jumpstarted it and it fired up. Ran for about 20 mins. Drove away and then all the warnings came on, and the car lowered. Drove back home, turned it off and it wouldn't start again
Check battery and it was dead (4 year old). Slapped in a new battery and it was good and alternator was good. Car will now fire up no problem but all the warnings still on dash.
And no..did not wash engine.

greg00

Reaction score
If you have HDC and transmission faults the codes should show on the GAP tool.
It took me a very long time to get rid of this faults because they tend to come back quiet often as soon as you think you fixed it.
Try clearing the codes and check when they come back again.
Posting codes here would help others analysing your problem. I fixed a lot on my 2004 D3 but I'm no pro mechanic.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I plugged in my OBD and no codes came up..

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a DieHard battery?
Seems like they cause all sorts of issues.

greg00

Reaction score
Do you have a Land Rover specific OBD Tool like the one from GAP? I'm not sure if a regular scanner can read all codes.
Maybe a shop can read them for you. Without the codes it's hardly possible to help.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a DieHard battery?
Seems like they cause all sorts of issues.
No..its not a Diehard. I'm up in Canasa and bought a brand called Motor master. Not best but not the worst either. But that could be a problem as well as you described

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a Land Rover specific OBD Tool like the one from GAP? I'm not sure if a regular scanner can read all codes.
Maybe a shop can read them for you. Without the codes it's hardly possible to help.
Good to know. I'll see if I cab find someone with one from GAP.. thanks for the tidbit

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72