LR3 Fuel Door Lock - Not Included

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

cakc

We just got our 2005 LR3 HSE Thursday. Its got every factory option (including cooler). For those who are thinking about investing in one be aware that there is no lock on the fueling door. The owner’s manual states that it should lock. The mechanism is not there so it can’t. Land Rover's reply to my inquiry is that a fuel door locking mechanism is not included on the LR3. Looks like Land Rover is cutting corners in some strange places. Makes one wonder what else is missing that you can’t see.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This design choice is well documented by early adopters. :)

The current revision of the manual "implies" it... but doesn't actually say it does lock. It says to open the fuel door while the doors are unlocked. Of course, when the doors are locked, you can still open it. :)

Other markets, like the UK, have the locking mechanism. Someone in marketing obviously thought it wasn't a big deal... since our North American fuel doesn't cost as much as a fine wine... yet.

Feel free to visit the LRC list of issues/pseudo-issues (a little messy, but not bad): http://lrchroniclepub.proboards29.com/index.cgi?board=land22&action=display&num=1105642097

Last edited by a moderator:
T

texas911

Wow, didn't realize that, this is the first car I've ever had that didn't have a locking gas cap/lid! Come on, even the Disco had one.

F

Freeflytim

We got cheap gas compared to the Brits... That's why us Yanks got the big engine!!

Plus, when was the last time you heard of someone getting their gas siphoned off?
I don't think that its an issue here in the States.

I do agree that they are cutting some corners but I would think that it would be cheaper for them to standardize one truck for the world market.

I was even more surprised that the truck even had a key. I expected a keyless RFD system that all the auto makers are moving to.

Z

zarnd

Freeflytim said:
We got cheap gas compared to the Brits... That's why us Yanks got the big engine!!QUOTE]

in the UK, we are offered the "big engine" as you put it, but are also offered the diesel engine, which is significantly better.

i think you will find, that as a general rule and this has already been discussed, the UK Discovery 3, or LR3 for you Yanks, gets a lot more factory fitted options as standard, and also a wider choice of options as well...such as locking petrol caps or example...

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a feeling one way or the other about the fuel door but thought of you all yesterday when I got gas.

The kid with 9 piercings in his face asked me to open the fuel door. I said "you just push it in".

He says "seriously????, huh!".

Even he seemed disappointed...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9