LR3 Parking Brake Backer Plates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not worried about the vehicle rolling. The Park locks it up pretty good with the transmission. A brick or 6x6 will certainly stop it from rolling if that was my concern. Thanks.

SCraig

Reaction score
If the EPB actuator is to be replaced, then yes, the brake assembly (discs off, shoes disassembled) needs to be taken apart access and disconnect the EPB cables. The EPB can fail if too much crud is in with the shoes so maintenance & cleaning is key.
The wheel bearings are unrelated to the EPB but if one needs doing its the time to do it as the brake assembly needs to be taken apart for that work too. Not sure about the costs but there is a bit of work to all that and the EPB module is probably a $1000 part alone.

SCraig

Reaction score
To replace the backer plates, the hub needs to be removed from the bearing. I recently did this and removing the hub took some of the bearing with it so I think they are quite right to allow for a new bearing. The EPB cable runs through and seats itself into the backer plate.
This video, which really is about the bearing replacement, shows the parts in question and assembly:

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@SCraig, thinking about the projected costs and current usability. Does this impair the driving and braking of the vehicle without having replaced the e-brake backer plates, etc? I'm balancing the cost vs. benefit and current value.
Also, I clearly need to double check just what the problems/issues are with my LR3 parking brakes. Looking at this video it doesn't seem too difficult to do the work myself, given the right tools and parts of course.
I definitely need to get a complete rundown on just what's going on and what's rusted and repairable/non-repairable by me.
Thanks.

Last edited:

SCraig

Reaction score
Some guys remove the backer plates to avoid rocks getting stuck in between the discs and backer when off roading so I'd say you could live without that. The thicker portion of the backed plate where the EPB cable goes through would need to stay in place if the rust isn't too bad there and the rest could be cut away.

Instead of replacing the EPB, perhaps take a look at these guides first:

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/epb-repairunjam-relatch-91299.html?highlight=epb+reset

I recently had an EPB failure and removed the drum and cleaned up the shoes, l then rest the EPB (because it was squealing) by opening it up in place and resetting it. (all shown in those guides). It worked for me! The work was a bit tough on the EPB unit due to access but doable. It was rewarding to fix it myself because in my 13 years of ownership I've replaced the EPB module twice already!

Are you showing a (parking) brake failure on the dash?

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. So, vehicle is definitely safely drivable as that only impacts the parking brake set up. It's something checked on the vehicle inspection list but until then I can figure out a way to repair, probably myself, from the video you shared and these other resources. The real question is what other rusted metal and parts I'm going to have to deal with.
Thanks! Right now I have 2 feet of snow so I'll wait until Spring to do the repair. I was looking at Atlantic British and their Parking Repair repair kit. They have back plates that are split to enable easy removal and not have to do the wheel hubs each time. Seems like a very sensible change to me!

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV