LR3 Subtle Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prconquet

Reaction score
Hello Land Rover Family.
I have a question. I have been hearing a noise from the front of my 06 LR3 since I purchased it used two years ago this April with 20 thousand miles. I now have 35 thousand am not sure of the origin. It sounds like the noise that is given off from nobby off road tires, however I have all season radials. it is not very loud and I only hear it when all is quiet and the vehicle is slowing to a stop. it is not a break noise and it does not really sound like a wheel bearing, unless its the inner wheel bearings. it is not isolated to one side nor is there anything wrong with the steering or suspension. Otherwise the vehicle runs and feels excellent. is this something I sould be concerned with or is it just my paranoia because I want my vehicle to remain as perfect as the first day I acquired it?

Dave Legacy

Reaction score
Even all-season tires will make noise if they're starting to wear unevenly, low pressure, or
crappy tire. I have some low buget tires on my commuter car and they're amazingly noisey! My current Nitto TGs make noise when I'm at low speeds and rough asphalt to the point where sometime I peek out the window to ensure I'm not running flat.

Noisey diff? Usually a symptom that it's going out. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but with LR3s it's always a possibility even at low mileage. You could drain your diffs and see what the fluid looks like. You might have someone else drive so you can sit in the back seat and see if the sound gets louder... Could be from the rear. I think bad diffs tend to make a steady howl that's most noticeable at steady highway speeds, but I don't know.

Best of luck. Hopefully it's no big deal.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the description, it is almost certainly from uneven tire wear, most likely cupping along the edges. That wear is typically a symptom of alignment issues or worn suspension components or lack of regular tire rotations.

Things to consider:

What type of tires do you have? Do they have the proper load rating for an LR3
Do you rotate every 5-7K miles?
Consider having an alignment performed.

Once the tires become cupped you can't really do much to fix them, but you can prevent it from getting worse.

Hope this helps...

Madisonlogan

Reaction score
Well if you are trying to keep your vehicle the same as you have purchased it first then it depends on how you maintain it and make use of your car and also depends upon the servicing.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rendak