LR3 winter snow hill ice - what to choose???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

west coast1

Reaction score
LR3 Winter woes

IF I WAS 36 AGAIN it might have happened but I'm not....so I have to be patient. The drive is very slippery and I'm not sure what the angle is so maybe 30 35 degrees - I'm chickening out - I have visions of the LR trying to swallow a tree or three and that is not a good picture.

But thanks for the advice and encouragement I will do it but right now its a long slippery bendy icy snowy unforgiving fate that awaits me and and and and .....................

If you are in WA and have binocs you might be able to see it!!!!!!!! We look straight at Port Angeles.

Anyways thanks again this little gem of a site is really good.

Best R

SoCal LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i feel your pain- it's very cold here too. it was 60 degrees at lunch today and temps might dip into the mid-40s overnight. fortunately, i don't have any steep driveways to deal with.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
blah blah blah...enjoy the nice temps. We'll enjoy the snow that we can drive in right near our homes and the Pac NW terrain that we can wheel in!

Bob, I do live in WA. ...but not near Port Angeles. I'm not sure what age has to do with bravery or sense of adventure, but regardless of that don't do anything you're not comfortable with. If you want to wait I'm not going to pressure you. 35 degree incline is quite steep! If this hill is as you describe I probably would skip it too unless I needed to get out.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay that's a lie....I just wanted to make you feel good! :)

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get better tires. I have a similar drive way with some small drop-offs. While I prefer the HDC off I have used just for fun and it worked awesome everytime I figure thats its primary function so it should be ok. I just cant stand the noise it makes. Dare I say you try it, just put it in 2nd, Lo and HDC on (there I said it) keep your foot off the break and go.

Wouldnt hurt to get some chains. Be sure try them off and on in good weather it sucks trying to figure it out in the dark when its snowing.

di_LR3_co

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bob - you'll be fine. i've driven a lot of different cars and suvs on ice and snow (northern michigan guy) and the LR3 handles great. you'll be fine.

the key as has been mentioned, is to go slow. its better to use the engine to brake you than the brakes. but, don't be afraid to use the brakes. just make sure you don't slam on them or you WILL lock them.

but that's another story. as a side note, you probably don't need to go into LOW to get engine braking. you WILL get the most engine braking in 1st gear in LOW, but depending on the angle of the driveway, 1st gear in HIGH with snow mode on may be enough..

BTW.. the looming question I have, is how did you get up this hill / driveway in the first place?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@di_LR3_co: He said the driveway is a 30-35 degree slope. I don't think 4-Hi would provide enough engine braking.

west coast1

Reaction score
LR3 Winter woes

I managed to arrive at the top of the hill by first seeing the snow coming down hard and then thinking maybe I'll just run up and down a few times to keep the snow cleared. So that was the first mistake - the snow by this time was getting rutted and icy and I was feeling lack of grip I was just in reg 4x4 hi on normal road setting (major boo boo) second I had not correctly read the manual (second boo boo) and third I just felt confident. So on the last pass the slip sliding started and at this point as I panicked and hit the brakes of course making things worse I started to see a crumpled beautiful LR3 in my immediate future........!!!! So managed to get down the hill onto the road and thank goodness nothing was coming as my slide was good for a gold medal in luge.

Went back up the hill again in same config and of course that was no fun either slip sliding away but got to the top and was greeted by my wife who said that looked no fun........funny how they always find the right words.....Uggghhhhhhh

So thats when I connected with this amazing forum. Yes its over a 1000' length and yes its full of steep hairpins and yes its between 30 and 35 degrees angle a good chunk of all of it and no I am not mentally ready to go down yet. One final question from this Canadian wooos is ok I'm in Lo range and have set my dial to snow gravel grass Q is do I or don't I put in HDC it is STEEP

You guys have been amazing but that manual is really dull compared to Grisham or Clancy

Bob

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the hills get icy here in PA, I actually prefer the HDC on. It works much better than braking while in High range on the GGS setting. In low range your engine braking is probably going to manage things first but I wonder if there isn't some advantage lost due to the wheels not locking and releasing to buildup the "berm of snow" in front of the wheels as happens in HDC. Easy enough to turn on in hurry though either way.

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could always trade for a caddy suv with 22" tires and stay in everytime it snows!! JK get it out there on some smaller hills get some confidence and man up to that driveway. You just have to learn how your truck works some people have more comfort in different settings find what works for you. Enjoy

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112