Lr4 Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you by any chance know of a good pad, that doesn't create so much brake dust? I can't keep cleaning my wheels every week... it's killing me. haha

I hear ya. I've had German cars for years and I always felt dust was a sign of excellent brakes and you could not have both great brakes and low dust.

Well, my '11 328iT has brakes as good as any BMW I've had and it hardly makes any dust. I've been too lazy to research this for my wife's Mini Cooper S and my 997TT, but I've been meaning to do this for a while.

At least it's a data point.

Sorry I am of no more help.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya. I've had German cars for years and I always felt dust was a sign of excellent brakes and you could not have both great brakes and low dust.

Well, my '11 328iT has brakes as good as any BMW I've had and it hardly makes any dust. I've been too lazy to research this for my wife's Mini Cooper S and my 997TT, but I've been meaning to do this for a while.

At least it's a data point.

Sorry I am of no more help.

Yes, it is true that good brakes create big dust... but I think there are new compounds out there that are helpinog. My wife's '12 Merc has the sport brakes and the brakes amazingly powerful (even better than BMWs) and they produce zero dust. So if Merc can figure it out... surely LR can. I'm just concerned if I go with aftermarket pads it'll cause issues with my warranty or rotors. I'm very much into sticking with OEM... so makes me a little nervous. I think your 997TT will always have it, those brakes are INSANE!

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how some people on this board are getting so much life out of their brakes - I'm at 26k miles on my 2011 LR4 and probably heading pretty soon toward my second set of front and rear brake pads and rotors. It was recommended (although not required) by both the dealer and a local shop to change out the rotors as well each time I change the pads (something about them not being able to cut the rotors like they do on domestic cars due to the 'lip' that forms), although I'm thinking of trying to change just the pads this time around, since that will save me about $600 in parts and labor. Thoughts/suggestions?

Anyone care to comment on this? My dealer is recommending the same thing (changing the rotors every time the brake pads are changed) and that just does not sound right to me. My experience with previous cars is that my rotors lasted at least twice as long as the brakes. Is there something different about the design of the LR4 brakes/rotors that makes it better to replace them both at the same time?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they were my rotors and they weren't grooved and had plenty of thickness left, I'd never think about changing them. Given the markup they charge for them, I'd say there is a great deal of incentive to talk you into it. Technically they aren't lying as it definitely is some degree better to start with new pads and rotors. I just question how much of a degree it is.

I just put new rear pads on my current rotors (LR3), 1/2 hour work and $39. Done. Well, almost done. The EBC pads I bought had too tall of tabs on them for some reason, and wouldn't move freely in the brackets, causing some squeaking. It was odd, because they were too tight on just the inside of the discs, outside fine. So I had to file them down a bit and reinstall. Another 1/2 hour, really done.

I did actually replace the rotors on this one at about 65,000 (87,000 now) but didn't really need to.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone care to comment on this? My dealer is recommending the same thing (changing the rotors every time the brake pads are changed) and that just does not sound right to me. My experience with previous cars is that my rotors lasted at least twice as long as the brakes. Is there something different about the design of the LR4 brakes/rotors that makes it better to replace them both at the same time?

I can't remember ever changing just the pads. I've always changed rotors with pads on Mercedes BMW and Volvo.

guss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change the Rotors.Your pads on sed Rotors will wear much quicker,almost half Life.Oi have 30 K. Now on my brakes.They will go another 5 K.
The problem with Land Rover is they install very small pads on rear and only mediocre in the front. Also the emgergency Brake is built into the Rear rotor which makes them expensive to change out.Not good design for an LR4.
I have rotors nd pads reay when originals wear out.775.00. Parts,I will install all.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure we all have different experiences. I've had 4 range rovers and 2 LR3s and have had more than approx 35k on every single set of pads and only changed rotors once. I do drive like an old woman, but still..

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
of all the cars i've owned, i've never been required to change the rotors at all and all of them exceeded 100k miles. the only rotors i touched was my track car which i upgraded to track rotors and BBK.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and changed both the rear pads and rotors for around $600. When it's time to change the front brake pads, I'll try an independent Land Rover car repair shop and get their opinion. Probably by the end of the summer. I'll report back.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't remember ever changing just the pads. I've always changed rotors with pads on Mercedes BMW and Volvo.
Just for the record, my previous car was a 1998 Mercedes ML320 which I owned for 12 years, 150k miles. Always used the dealer service and they would replace the rotors every other time the pads were replaced.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo