LR4 Computer Fault Finder Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fellow LR4 enthusiasts,

Here in Africa and have been looking at this forum along with some of the other forums such as lr4X4.com (http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?act=idx ), LRForums (http://www.lrrforums.com/index.php ), and Landy Zone (http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/ ).

Since there is only one dealership in the whole country, and when I go out with the truck it can be quite a ways from any support, I have been seriously considering the need for a fault finder/clearing device. Since I am not a mechanic or a true gear head, I feel something to help me troubleshoot faults to determine problems (like replace a fuse) and then clear simple faults which I can fix or simply need to find a work-around to limp home--therefore clear faults out-- is the right type of device for me.

The collective has not come to any clear decision regarding fault finding or troubleshooting equipment. I am seriously considering Blackbox Solutions’s Faultmate FCR (see website at http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/ ). There are several other devices out there which people have commented on (only up to LR3’s), and I am curious if any LR4 owners have experience with the Faultmate FCR or other such equipment.

Thanks for everyone’s interest!

Happy Trails,
Land Rover Joe

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have an actron, was about 120 bucks.......and i have used it......

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
suvowner,

Thanks for the information. I have done some checking on the various actron systems.

However, it does not appear you can clear faults, only read them. Is this true?

Land Rover Joe

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings to all,

I have been corresponding with Ron at Black Box, trying to learn more about their products. I am summarizing some of the information he gave me here so the group can take a look (I don't work for Black Box but since he is interested in selling me the system...it sounds like I am trying to sell you the system). Perhaps it will be useful for some, and perhaps some folks have experience with Black Box’s products. I know there are a few folks on other forums who are very impressed with some of their items, in particular for resetting the service interval indicators or troubleshooting their vehicles (MSV-2 or one of their "bits"). I will post this on the more technical forums as well.

The Blackbox FCR is purely and simply a fault code reader with the ability to clear the faults. It cannot reset service/oil intervals calibrate suspensions.

For example, If your LR4 were to develop a fault while out off-roading or just standard driving and the fault was not something that required an immediate repair, then the Faultmate FCR will read that fault from the ECU and clear it. Faults can be recorded in the vehicle simply by hitting a *** hole or more serious faults such as a failure in an ECU. In all cases the FCR will read the fault that has been stored and clear that fault. If it then re-occurs that gives you an indication of a more serious fault that requires attention. Provided the issue is not requiring immediate attention you can be on your way. The alternative of course is to call for a breakdown truck and let them try to fix it. The FCR covers all engine management ECU’s in the Discovery 4.

Black box has taken the basic OBD code that all scanners use and put it into as plain and simple text as they can. They do not have a library of fault codes and anyone wanting more detailed information is advised to search the web or subscribe to Land Rovers GTR site. There is no on-line subscription service but all updates are released are via the FCR mini support site
http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/FCR/home.htm

These updates are free of charge at all times and the FCR is guaranteed to cover every ECU that has a fault memory in the vehicle and is capable of being diagnosed.

Know that customers have purchased the system and then complained because it wasn't a "plug and play" tool. The main diagnostic system (MSV-2, formerly the Rovacom) was designed with the home DIY enthusiast in mind with degree of knowledge in car systems but then with the growing need for a more simple tool, the FCR was born which is so simple to use that you do not need to know anything about the vehicle other than where the diagnostic socket is.

For more complete diagnostic and ECU control, see the Faultmate MSV-2 system. This system has been developed over the past 17 years from its original Rovacom which was similar in size, shape and functionality to Land Rovers original testbook and over time has developed into a tool that is primarily designed for the home DIY enthusiast/mechanic. Allegedly, many businesses have purchased the systems and use them for repairing Land Rovers/Range Rovers.

The part number for the Extreme server with built in VCI 1 is: HW018 Faultmate MSV-2 Vehicle Server EXTREME version with VCI 1 @ $323.19 (USD excluding shipping).

This server is not included in in the Discovery 4 SV kit. The standard OBD lead is required for communication with the pre-2005 vehicles through the HW018 server, if folks want to use the server for other trucks besides the LR4.

Other components needed for the MSV-2 package include:

LD020 VCI2 OBDII Diagnostic Lead (CAN Network) @ 123.69 USD
LD027 Black OBDII Lead (heavy duty) @ 46.55 USD
LD032 Serial connection lead (Null modem cable) @ 3.99 USD
AC002 USB to RS232 @ 19.95 USD
AC029 Bluetooth Module @ 82.46 USD
MP040 Discovery 4 (LR4) Software Pack @ 707.56 USD (single vehicle)

One can substitute the heavy duty LD027 for a standard LD022 which is slightly shorter and more for use on a single vehicle. LD022 Black OBD II lead @ 34.58 USD

There is also a bluetooth adaptor available in the Accessories section of the web shop and all MSV-2 servers have the capability to support this. It does require a compatible bluetooth device on the laptop. The unit is fully programmed and tested on the MSV-2 server prior to dispatch.

AC029 Bluetooth Module @ 82.46 USD excluding shipping.

Apart from the diagnostic capability there is very limited capability on the Discovery 4 in the way of enabling features as we are still developing the software with one of our Beta testers along with the other 2010 and onwards models. However I will re-assure you at this point that any updates as and when available are free to our customers via our support forums. At this time there are no dates regarding the complete LR4 software release as this is an ongoing process with both man hours and costs.

The Discovery 4 has an Oil Service reset feature which can be reset using the MSV-2 through the Instrument pack software.

Orders can be made either through the web shop which will ask you for method of payment at the end or through a Pro Forma / Quote to purchase direct.

All equipment is covered by a 1 year return to base warranty as shown in the terms and Conditions section of the web shop Downloads section:
http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/download/index.html

Also in the Downloads section you can also find general videos showing the Faultmate MSV-2 Extreme being used on a Discovery 3 and other models.

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
suvowner,

Thanks for the information. I have done some checking on the various actron systems.

However, it does not appear you can clear faults, only read them. Is this true?

Land Rover Joe

yep i can clear codes, see pre codes.....and see real time data like tire pressure, barometirc pressure, and all sorts of stuff......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM