LR4 -> Defender anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mari Gianati

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to send that video to my husband. He is tired of fixing his M4 Convertible (we live in Puerto Rico and the roads keep messing up his car). He is on the fence about getting another Land Rover.
In our household, I am THE driver (Dad was raced professionally and I would race rally with former husband in the Italian Alps). I’ve had my share of real stunts on my LR4 Landmark in PR too. I know seeing the video my hubby will cringe for the car but also for the driver. He worries one of these days....
But quoting one of you,“the more I see of the current Defender, the more I think my LR4 will be my only LR, unless I get a classic Defender as a toy or the husband buys a RR for husband duties”.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish. For some reason there was very little LR inventory that year. The new 2008 LR3 HSE with a rear locker we bought was trucked-in from another dealer 100 miles away. And it showed up with a different color driver's door that we had repainted to better match. There weren't any other HSE's with the heavy duty package within 500 miles.
2008 was when the economy in North American collapsed, or more correctly, the stock market.

I was predicting that the new Defender would look like a Ford Ranger; I was wrong, the Defender is a pre-release Ford Bronco. Land Rover is doing the testing for Ford again.

If you like the Defender tail lights, you will love the rear tail lights of the Bronco in the associated pictures.

https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/bronco

new-ford-bronco-rendering-by-nick-kaloterakis-200-1578512005.jpg

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing is everything - I bought my 2006 LR3 in 2008 for $24K :-D
Gas was above $4.50/gal and no one was buying large SUVs.

Those Bronco pics are just artist speculative renders.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing is everything - I bought my 2006 LR3 in 2008 for $24K :-D
Gas was above $4.50/gal and no one was buying large SUVs.

Those Bronco pics are just artist speculative renders.
Yes, correct, but then why choose the Defender to copy?

The only thing that does puzzle me is that the C&D articles and others suggest the Bronco is body on frame and the Defender appears to be Unit Body; ie, no frame.

macbright

Reaction score
I stopped watching TopGear (U.S. version) after those morons cavalierly trashed an LR4.

But there's no way I'm gonna stop watching Bond flicks. At least they are more stylish about it when they trash great rides.

I totally agree (although I drive an LR3 for last 10 years), LR4's (an Great improvement over the LR3) deserved more respect. I too stopped watching US version of TopGear, for that uneducated review!

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me the new Bronco looks more like a IH Scout
You are correct. The original Bronco came about because International Harvester invented the Scout and people liked it. Ford also liked it and said we can copy that, and did.

People forgot the Scout as they liked the Bronco so Ford made it more comfortable and took a Ranger and made the roof longer and called it the Bronco II.

GM looked at that and said, we can copy that but we do not want to spend any money so lets take a short wheel base 2 door C10, clamp a full height fibreglass canopy on the box and call it a Blazer.

Ford said we can do that and took a short wheelbase F-100, extended the roof and .......

Anyway, I think the Defender is just a preproduction "new" Bronco.

Not to be left out, I think Jeep and Hummer are about to continue the game.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA