LR4 to Disco 5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're a diesel fanatic like I am then there's only one choice--Discovery. If you're OK with a gasoline engine then it's a toss-up but I'd still opt for the discovery because you get more inside cargo space behind the second row. Both have the exact same wading depth spec but the defender has better approach and departure angles. I'm very happy with my D5 and wouldn't trade it for a Defender.

One more thing -- none of Defender 110s (including the one that costs the same as a Range Rover) is even available with leather seats.

Last edited:

DieselRanger

Reaction score
If you're a diesel fanatic like I am then there's only one choice--Discovery. If you're OK with a gasoline engine then it's a toss-up but I'd still opt for the discovery because you get more inside cargo space behind the second row. Both have the exact same wading depth spec but the defender has better approach and departure angles. I'm very happy with my D5 and wouldn't trade it for a Defender.

One more thing -- none of Defender 110s (including the one that costs the same as a Range Rover) is even available with leather seats.
I second the Diesel D5 opinion. 30,000 trouble-free miles for me, including some pretty heavy off-road use in Colorado. Just add a good set of your favorite AT tires (I went for 32" Cooper Discoverer AT3's on mine, 275/55-20 with no rubbing at any ride height, steering angle, or articulation...may choose something different next time but they're wearing well) and it will go anywhere you would dare take it and most places you wouldn't think it could go. If you off-road in sand or mud a lot or tow overland trailers then make sure you get the Capability Plus pack with the rear locker. Otherwise the low range / electronically locking center diff / Terrain Response 2 combo will do just fine.

Re: New Defender - full Windsor leather seats are an option. Otherwise it's cloth or leather/cloth as base offerings depending on the trim.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

angelboing

Reaction score
former 2012 LR4 HSE owner here. two months ago, after coming up on the pricey quintuple punch of a water pump/timing chain/spark plugs/brakes/tires replacement at 90k miles, i talked to my local land rover sale guide about all my options (including a discovery 5 and the upcoming defender).

after a little bit of research, i decided to forgo the LR4 repairs- and any potential upcoming expenses- and bit the bullet with a trade in. i treated myself to the luxury, tech, and infotainment updates of a 2019 discovery 5 HSE lux and not having to worry about unexpected repairs and having features like carplay, surround cameras, and a thrifty diesel engine (500 miles per tank!) has been a great move. i miss the styling, sightlines, and cargo space of my LR4, but it's certainly nice to drive a new car (even though the discovery interior feels a bit *too* precious sometimes). will report back with more updates.

side note: i live in an apartment building in the city and have no garage/workshop access so working on my LR4 myself wasn't an option. and i LOVED my LR4. it replaced my LR3. #brandloyal

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's good to hear you're happy with your new "car". I believe they drive well in most conditions.
I personally hate the current styling. I've had my D4 TDV6 here in Australia since late 2014 & intend
to keep it as long as I can drive (I'm 71!!) It's fully set-up for long range offroading. It replaced a 1995 300TDi that I owned for 20 years.
Hopefully you will never want to fit aftermarket gear such as a bullbar, rear steel bumper/wheel carrier,
aux. fuel tank, heavy duty bash plates etc as virtually nobody is making them because with no chassis
they cannot be properly mounted. My preferred 4WD equipment supplier; APT Offroad in Brisbane is
about to sell his D5 as he's totally frustrated with the inability to fabricate suitable protection gear for what he calls a "soft car". His vehicle has needed to be straightened on a jig 3 times due to flexing & bending.
Even though the new Defender has no chassis it should (hopefully) be more of a true replacement for the
simply brilliant D4. The resale value of D4's here is going up as offroaders realize just how good they are.
It's very hard to find one here secondhand at a comparable price to Toyota's, Nissan Patrols etc.
Congrats on getting the diesel. Is it one of the 4 cyl. 2 liter engines or the excellent 3 liter V6's???
We never got the V8's here - much too thirsty for our vast offroad distances, plus the high cost of fuel here.

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Hopefully you will never want to fit aftermarket gear such as a bullbar, rear steel bumper/wheel carrier,
aux. fuel tank, heavy duty bash plates etc as virtually nobody is making them because with no chassis they cannot be properly mounted.

My hat is off to you, Sir, for continuing to explore your vast beautiful outback with contempt of the fact that you've entered your eighth decade (I'm 70, having also entered my eighth decade this year).

Just as ARB and several other top notch Australian companies manufacture superb off-road vehicle upgrades that are available in America, we are catching up here with similar equipment for the D5, including rock sliders, bull bar, internally-mounted front winch, 3/4"-thick aluminum skid plate, and heavy duty versatile roof rack, as described at https://www.lucky8llc.com/collections/discovery-5 and
https://www.fourwheeler.com/news/fe...or-recovery-gear-competition-bound-discovery/.

The D4 (LR4 here) is an excellent vehicle, and if it had been available in America with the 3.0L Td6 diesel engine I might have purchased one. I'm glad it wasn't because I love my D5 HSE Td6 and would not trade it for a new LR4 if one existed and were available. I also would not trade it for a new Defender, which is not available with a diesel in America. The D5 is the quintessential fusion of safe, luxurious high-speed motoring (99% of our driving) with apocalyptic off-road capability, which exceeds that of all other past and present Land Rover vehicles except for the approach and departure angles of the new Defender (the D5 and Defender both have 35.4" wading depth capability). The D5 is my wife's daily driver and she gets many compliments, especially since I changed the stock 255/55-20 Goodyear Eagles on 8.5"-wide wheels for 285/50-20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2s on 9.5"-wide wheels.

2.jpg

Last edited:

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D'day ar077, Great to hear of your good D5 experience. I know just how capable they can be off road, it's
just the lack of aftermarket gear (so far). It's good to hear that some U.S. companies are now making
sensible protection gear. My comments stand re Ben Woodgate of APT Offroad not finding suitable mounting points for a steel bullbar or alternate jacking points.
I'm really surprised that LR in the USA doesn't market Defender with diesel. You've got a great engine with
your D5 TD6. You have a bit more power & torque than my 2014 D4 with basically the same powerplant.
Even though my vehicle is now well over 3.3 tons with all the gear & 190 liters of fuel, it's still getting
around 28mpg (US gals.) I went the opposite way with tires; going from the OE 255/55X19 Goodyear
Wranglers to BFG KO2's in 265/60X18's on Compomotive 18" alloys. I'm surprised that you can fit the
larger spare in the available space.
I've driven well over 100,000 miles around your beautiful countryside over 40 years & I reckon that all
Americans should have a Land Rover so they can discover every nook & cranny in your many varied states.
I've driven in all 50 US states & haven't yet spoken to an American who has done that - I'm surprised!!
I'm hoping that I can keep exploring my own country for plenty more years yet in my trusty diesel D4.
Enjoy your D5, I'd like to hear about any aftermarket protection gear you fit in the future.

CincyRovers

Reaction score
I still have my LR4 as well as a new Discovery. I honestly prefer the D5 because of the comfort, tech, features, and the versatility. I prefer the design of the LR4. I miss the classic Discovery look that's missing from the 5. I prefer the v8 on my 4, as well as the split tailgate. I do really hate the stupid electronic flap on the D5. Also, I prefer the 825w Meridian system in the D5 over the 380w harman/kardon system in the LR4.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

DirtyHal

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online