LR4 Tow Assist - does it exist?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are asking what a brake controller does, then what it does is sense when the vehicle is slowing down (some use an internal accelerometer) and then apply the brake signal to the trailer. It has an adjustment for controlling how hard the brakes are applied...a fully loaded trailer will need heavy braking, while an empty trailer will skid the wheels if too much brake is applied. I don't think there is any Land Rover "recommended" part...and it is probably more a function of the trailer than the tow vehicle anyway. As I mention above, the Tekonsha P-3 is a good choice and should handle any trailer the LR4 is capable of towing. Light trailers do not have brakes so obviously it is of no use with those.

Great explanation! Thanks much!

dougdep

Reaction score

i do not believe so. i did order the P2 and when i called etrailer they were very helpful. since the dealer wired the LR4 towing electrics there is a simple wire connection between the P2 and a socket underneath the sterring wheel. The etrailer people will tell you which one. no splicing or anything like that was necessary. simple "plug and play"

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i do not believe so. i did order the P2 and when i called etrailer they were very helpful. since the dealer wired the LR4 towing electrics there is a simple wire connection between the P2 and a socket underneath the sterring wheel. The etrailer people will tell you which one. no splicing or anything like that was necessary. simple "plug and play"

Thanks! I will call them.

Also what drop should I choose for Ball Mount - too many choices at etrailer :)
As i understant it would be 2" arm with 2" rrop?

dougdep

Reaction score
Thanks! I will call them.

Also what drop should I choose for Ball Mount - too many choices at etrailer :)
As i understant it would be 2" arm with 2" rrop?

the drop is all dependent on your trailer (at least i think so). When my trailer was loaded and level i measured from the ground to the top of the arm of the trailer. and i figured i needed a 2 inch drop if i remember correctly.

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the drop is all dependent on your trailer (at least i think so). When my trailer was loaded and level i measured from the ground to the top of the arm of the trailer. and i figured i needed a 2 inch drop if i remember correctly.

Wondering which one comes in that LR original set... I don't have a trailer yet, planning to buy a boat. I guess I will just buy cheapest 2x2, and then will get one that works the best for particular setup. Thanks!

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally had wires installed - easy job except for one wire clip that goes into the frame behind the ballast (by the way what are those for??) - very difficult to reach, unless I did something wrong.

This morning call the dealer to find out what does it takes to program it - he said he needs to find out, and will call me back in 15 min... - still waiting... :) Pathetic...

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here is the part number on etrailer.com for adaptor (2012 LR4): 3035-P.

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am trying to complete my setup, dealer kind of confused, went through whole topic here, still not 100% sure if I need to get any programming done or not... :)

I have 2012 LUX - NO Vision package, so... We have 2 things - Trailer Assist (I should have) ans Tow Assist (I Dont have)...
Trailer stability assist is programmed by the dealer once they install the tow electrics.

Based on all the info in this topic, Trailer Assist is standard an all LR4s. How do I know it is programmed?

Hi nashvegas,
There is no tow assist button. When you connect a trailer to the wiring, the LR4 recognizes that you connected a trailer and takes you through a series of steps to setup that trailer. Once a trailer is connected, you can access the tow assist menu from the cameras menu. This is a soft key, not a button and a trailer needs to be connected to the wiring in order to access that feature. If you cannot access that feature, check with dealer. They may have not programmed it on.
So portion in BOLD should happen no matter if you have Vision or not? What do i see there? What those steps are, just in general?

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tow Assist is the lines that help guide you when you're backing up a trailer. That is part of the Vision assist package. Trailer Stability assit helps when you are towing a trailer in terms of keeping the trailer/vehicle combo stable based on speed, braking, etc... Both need to be programmed by the dealer. The dealer programmed mine when they installed my tow electrics. for the trailer stability assist there is no screen or setup you have to go through. The vehicle automatically recognizes the traler and acivates traler stability assist.
I am assuming you have the tow electrics and you had them installed by the dealer. If that's the case then youre good to go. If you installed the tow electrics yourself, then you have to have the dealer activate the trailer stability assist.
not sure if trailer stability assist is standard on all models. very possible though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo