LR4s out there holding their value maybe more than just quite well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyTree

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This whole thread is excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Totally agree. Fun thread!

Whenever I've taken our LR4 to the dealership, no less than 4 or 5 service guys come out to look at it, every time, and comment on how much they like the sound of the V8, the clutchless Manual stick shifter, the boxy lines, etc. Our service advisor always comments on how fantastic it looks with a huge smile on his face.

Our dealership works on predominantly post-2012 model Range Rover and Range Rover Sport (they're EVERYWHERE in the LA/OC coastal cities), so they don't see too many LR3s, LR4s or classic Defenders. Seems to always be a treat for them when one comes in.

It's a pretty nice feeling to see that the LR4's uniqueness and design are appreciated.

SkyTree
cee490ca4651f38494c75c128de7fbcc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

svwood

Reaction score
Thought I shared this with you guys here.

Couple of weeks ago I visited my dealership for scheduled maintenance. As I was checking out the new Defenders on the floor, a sales guide approaches, we chat a bit, and it comes up that I currently own an LR4.

"Hmm...", he says with interest. "They are quite in demand and whenever we get one in for sale, it usually is gone within four or five days."

"In fact.." he continues, "...LR4s are forcing us to price the D5 higher because we cannot sell a D5 cheaper than an LR4."

But here is the kicker :)

Last week as I go back to pick up my truck, I am pleasantly surprised to see the car all detailed out. The thing looked practically brand new and better than when I had originally picked it up for the first time.

As I am getting ready to get behind the wheel, a well-mannered man in grey jacket asks a question as he passes by:

"Are you interested in selling your LR4?"

Me smiling: Thanks, but I am not interested.

Curious man: It looks new, just get it?"

Me: No I've had it for a while, but did buy it new in '16.

Curious man: I am the sales manager here, I am willing to pay you the same amount that you paid for it.

Me: Could you please repeat that again?

Curious man: Sure, I am willing to pay you the same amount that you paid when you purchased it.

Me: Thank you, but I intend to keep it. Why are they holding their value so well, what about it?

Curious man: Customers just love the design. They are not even aware of the technical aspects of things.

Me: They like the design more than the new Defender?

Curious man: Yes. Here is my card if you decide otherwise.

May have felt a little bit like that famous scene from the movie Indecent Proposal when the billionaire Robert Redford approaches ***** Harrelson and Demi Moore with the proposal, ha.

He further went on to say that he usually has ten to fifteen leads already lined up before an LR4 comes in for sale, and that the customers are always asking for it whether he has got one in yet.

Also he said that if one comes in, it usually is sold within two days.

Thought some of you here might find the above interesting :)

And just a disclaimer here, I know I have been quite critical, but certainly dont wanna come across as shooting down the new Defender as that car certainly has a presence when seen in person and holds its own. So anyone here toying with the idea of exploring the possibility of owning one should really not go by the pictures alone but should go out and see that thing in person in real life first before forming their opinion.

Like some of you here, I too was invited to that private event here in LA last year and had a chance to meet and chat a little with both Gerry McGovern and the NA CEO. Been meaning to share the conversation and my own personal take on things and thoughts on the new Defender but one thing after another :)

I own a 2016 LR4 LandMark Edition, approximately $11k miles on it. I love it - but if someone offered me my purchase price I might have to re-think keeping it...

IMG_5458.JPG

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you elaborate further on this "botched fluid swap" story, @cperez? For science.

Sounds like it was a series of unfortunate events. Transmission fluid change, incorrect fluid used, most of the fluid had leaked out by the time problems were detected and they got stranded a few hundred miles from home. This is how he described it to me. He's currently getting a 68K-mile used transmission installed.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fluid leaked? Strange. Used prices on the whole have increased unless you want a basic sedan.

SkyTree

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it was a series of unfortunate events. Transmission fluid change, incorrect fluid used, most of the fluid had leaked out by the time problems were detected and they got stranded a few hundred miles from home. This is how he described it to me. He's currently getting a 68K-mile used transmission installed.
Thank you for sharing, @cperez.
Did your friend have the pan, gasket, and filter changed also, or only the fluid?

SkyTree

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Forty Deuce

Reaction score
Ill have to say, the LR4 is the best all around vehicle I’ve ever owned. I see nothing out there that even appeals to me as a future replacement. From camping to off-roading with the kids then, after a proper wash, taking the wife in heels and a dress to a night in Downtown LA - it does it all and fits in perfectly wherever we go. No matter where it is it stands out a just different enough to set you apart.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did your friend have the pan, gasket, and filter changed also, or only the fluid?

I will ask him when I get a chance. I would not read too much into this anecdote. I wasn't offering it as an example of a common issue with our model of LR. That said, one of my indy shops is reluctant to do the pan swap because he has seen more than a few of them (DIY or other shops' work) coming to him to address leaks. Again, just an anecdote and not firsthand experience. I respect his opinion but also respect the direct positive experience from a lot of owners here who have done the pan swap.

PS: He got back to me just now and he got a new pan, gasket, and filter.

ACRA

Reaction score
I just traded in my 2013 LR4, my dealer called and gave me a deal on a new 2020 Discovery I couldn’t pass up. Hated doing it, but it isn’t practical for us to be a 2 vehicle family. That said it was tough because I only had 36,000 easy miles on it, and it was cherry. The trade in was a great number but the bottom line is they sold it, in a heartbeat I might add, for only $33K, so in my view 7 years old, even with low mileage, it was seen as a liability. I love my new Disco, but I loved my LR4!

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great lead-off post for this thread! I would have bought a 2016 LR4 if it had been available with the same Td6 diesel drivetrain that the RR and RR Sport had that year. Even though the D5 was new in 2017 I had no hesitation in ordering one since it did have the same proven Td6 diesel drivetrain as the RR and RR Sport.

I'm happy for you LR4 owners for whom appearance is the primary consideration in selecting an off-road vehicle. Though my D5 doesn't look as "off-roady" as your LR4s, its off-road capability exceeds that of your LR4s, and equals that of the new Defender except for approach and departure angles. Furthermore, it has better handling and maneuverability and is much safer and more comfortable at 80 mph (the speed limit on I-15 in Utah) than your LR4s.

When my D5's factory warranty expires next year I'll pay $4,000 to get an extended warranty from Pentagon Federal Credit Union that will cover it to 100,000 miles (no time limit) with no deductibles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72