LR4s out there holding their value maybe more than just quite well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great lead-off post for this thread! I would have bought a 2016 LR4 if it had been available with the same Td6 diesel drivetrain that the RR and RR Sport had that year. Even though the D5 was new in 2017 I had no hesitation in ordering one since it did have the same proven Td6 diesel drivetrain as the RR and RR Sport.

I'm happy for you LR4 owners for whom appearance is the primary consideration in selecting an off-road vehicle. Though my D5 doesn't look as "off-roady" as your LR4s, its off-road capability exceeds that of your LR4s, and equals that of the new Defender except for approach and departure angles. Furthermore, it has better handling and maneuverability and is much safer and more comfortable at 80 mph (the speed limit on I-15 in Utah) than your LR4s.

When my D5's factory warranty expires next year I'll pay $4,000 to get an extended warranty from Pentagon Federal Credit Union that will cover it to 100,000 miles (no time limit) with no deductibles.

Super. Glad you're happy with it!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Form and function are intertwined in terms of my enjoyment of the LR4 form factor. Try stuffing a dresser, leather chair and ottoman, lamps, tools, luggage and a 43" flatscreen into a D5. (actual loadout during one particular college move and only one example of the benefit of over 90 sq ft of cargo room). Not trying to sound defensive, just giving reasons far beyond cosmetics for my preference.

CincyRovers

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing, @cperez.
Did your friend have the pan, gasket, and filter changed also, or only the fluid?

SkyTree

I'm the one that @cperez is referencing here. My transmission did fail over 300 miles away from home in Asheville, NC. I was on my way home from the Land Rover Experience owner's day at the Biltmore, and It threw a code about five miles after we hot on the highway. I got off at the next exit, cleared it, but 1/4 mile later it threw the same code and revved up to redline without any throttle input. We Had it towed to JLR of Asheville, where they found that there was nearly no fluid in the trans, and what fluid was left was burnt. They also ran diagnostics and found the trans was slipping into 5th gear. I 've seen it slip into 5th twice since my transmission service (shop only changed the fluid, and didn't use ZF Lifeguard fluid as I requested) back in February at ~87k miles. The failure happened at 94K miles. I had it towed from JLR Asheville to my friend's transmission shop where he is currently installing a 68k mile used transmission with a new pan/filter, gasket and the correct fluid. We bought the LR4 new ten years ago, and it's been pretty darn reliable up until now.

if you need any more information, please let me know and I'll get back to you.

Last edited:

CincyRovers

Reaction score
You must be really happy with your D5 to come talk about it on an LR4 forum.

I also have a D5 and it's fantastic. The D5 has many improvements over the LR4. The D5 and LR4 both have their strengths and weaknesses, but you can't go wrong with either.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does not help that the D5 is awkward and ugly looking. Underneath all that it may be a fine vehicle but the design is off putting. The genius of the LR4 design (and more so the LR3) is that it was form follows function.

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be really happy with your D5 to come talk about it on an LR4 forum.

Since the D5 is still relatively new there are only 165 D5 threads at https://www.landroverworld.org/ versus 7,743 LR4 threads. I like the LR4 but, as you said, I'm very happy with my D5. Besides, some of the LR4 thread topics could be applicable to the D5. Hey, we're all one happy family of Land Rover enthusiasts! My British friends whom I spent time with during my 7 years in the Air Force stationed at RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk, are delighted that I bought a new Land Rover.

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Form and function are intertwined in terms of my enjoyment of the LR4 form factor. Try stuffing a dresser, leather chair and ottoman, lamps, tools, luggage and a 43" flatscreen into a D5. (actual loadout during one particular college move and only one example of the benefit of over 90 sq ft of cargo room). Not trying to sound defensive, just giving reasons far beyond cosmetics for my preference.

You're absolutely right! The LR4 can transport larger items of furniture and other equipment than the D5. If you need one vehicle to do it all then the LR4 wins out (I also have a Duramax diesel truck).

Speaking of diesel, I'm hard over for diesel in off-road vehicles and trucks for several reasons:
1. Fuel economy. As everyone knows, diesel engines get much better mileage than gasoline engines.
2. Torque. Diesel engines have much more low-RPM torque than gasoline engines, which is why they're better for towing and low speed operations (such as off-road driving). My Duramax diesel truck has so much torque that the engine throws the truck around like it's a toy. The truck weighs 7600 lbs but it feels like a toy.
3. Safety. Diesel fuel is much less volatile than gasoline so it's safer to carry large quantities of extra fuel in suitable containers on long overland adventures.
4. Low susceptibility to overheating. It's not a proper summer in Las Vegas unless July temperatures hit 115° F. Diesel-powered vehicles are impervious to the heat.

It was my experience with the last benefit that turned me into a diesel fanatic. While serving as a United Nations Military Observer in Western Sahara, we drove diesel-powered Nissan Patrol vehicles. With the outside air temperature at 128° F (I saw 140° F in Mauritania) we'd be sitting in the vehicle with the engine idling and the AC on full blast, and the temp gauge never went above mid-green.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should report seeing 140 to someone, that's a full 6 degrees hotter than the all time recorded temperature on the planet!!

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other way around here. Diesels struggle to warm the interior quick and keep it warm at -30. It can be done with various heater do-dads but it adds complexity.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV